Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   ID this Crayfish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/id-crayfish-97994/)

Misomie 04-05-2012 09:43 PM

ID this Crayfish?

I was at one of my lps buying a new plant and when I followed the guy to get it bagged up, I saw this cute little Crayfish in a betta container. I pointed out how I thought it was cute (having always liked them) and he went on to explain that it had hitched a ride into the store with their feeder fish shipment. He explained how it was free (with a $5 donation; basically $5). One thing became another and he was practically begging for me to take it (he even knocked off the donation price). I asked a bunch of questions and decided to get it. (I think he knocked the price down because he knew I have a large tank with semi-aggressive and fast fish that I keep at a lower temp)

Anyways, the crayfish is a tanish white color with a bunch of darker flecks over the claws and dorsal regions (black or dark tan spots; basically if you look straight down on him you can see them best). It has a muscular body with (what I think) puny claws (so maybe a female?). The sales person said he had them before and they grew around 3-4 inches. He looks like a non-transparent ghost shrimp on steroids. :P (with specks of course) I also took a good look at him from the side and noticed white blotches that stood out from the light tan. His body shape is that of a Marbled Crayfish but he lacks that coloration (maybe albino?).

I don't have a working camera to take pictures. :<

He gets along with the minnows I have in the tank (just finishing its cycling; tested today with no ammonia) pretty well. I slightly fear for the minnows because they are really tiny (but fast) and seem to like to group around the new guy. :P (seriously, they are millimeters away from his claws)

Also I want to add a group of MTS to the mix of fish. How many should I add? (I also am still thinking about trying Zebra loaches so them with the Crayfish and tiger barbs I have will do a great job in controlling the population)

kitten_penang 04-06-2012 12:27 PM

does the MTS you refer to is Multiple Tank Syndrome????? just kidding a pic would be great there are so many type of crayfish out there.plus you don't know which area it's from.if you did it could narrow the search down.

Misomie 04-06-2012 03:07 PM

MTS very much stands for Multiple Tank Syndrome. ;D However, I only have two running tanks up right now (though I have a good number of smaller ones collecting dust). However I'm thinking of buying another 20 gal for the crayfish off craigslist. ;D

I can't take a photo of him without a working camera.... Why did my camera have to go and commit suicide? D':

redchigh 04-06-2012 03:10 PM

that crawfish would probably eat loaches, and minnows if it could catch one. I would definately assume it's a 'feeder crawfish', and will devour anything it can catch. (plants, fish, but the MTS might be safe. They can easily be controlled by limiting food though.)

InvertPlanet 04-06-2012 03:21 PM

without a pic it is difficult to ID but most crays are NOT fish friendly. They are can and will eat anything they can get their claws on.

Misomie 04-06-2012 03:41 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about him being a possible danger to my fish last night. ^^;

I'll be moving him into the 20 gal when I put my fish in the 75 gal. (then maybe add some surface only fish to the cray's tank)

I'll just set-up a 10 gal as a quarantine tank rather than the 20. ;D

redchigh 04-06-2012 03:44 PM

not sure that would work, even surface fish will sleep on the bottom sometimes.

Misomie 04-06-2012 03:53 PM

Even Hatchetfish? I thought they never/rarely left the top... :/

kitten_penang 04-08-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misomie (Post 1037618)
Even Hatchetfish? I thought they never/rarely left the top... :/

hahahaha except them :lol: i vote new tank for the critter

Misomie 04-09-2012 09:06 PM

lol yeah. XD

I'm going to move him in a few more weeks. Since I'm going to be swapping fish from the 20 gal to the 75 gal, which method should I use?

1. Move danios into the 75 gal first and have them stay with the Crayfish for a week or two. Then capture the other fish and place them in bags in the tank while I capture the Crayfish and then swap the tanks completely.

2. Capture Cray and place in bag. Capture all fish and move all at the same time when exchanging.

I have 5 danios, 7 barbs, and 1 CAE. Hmmm....