Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Reference books for FW and a sticky idea! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/reference-books-fw-sticky-idea-97984/)

JimBinSC 04-05-2012 04:52 PM

Reference books for FW and a sticky idea!

Hi,
Can you recommend some good basic to intermediate FW reference books? I would like some books that I will refer to again and again, so I don't want TOO basic, it has to be slightly in depth at least.
Maybe one that breaks down the different FW tanks (Amazon, Stream, etc) and tells how to do them, and a plant book. I saw the link that Lupin put up on FW set-up, that's a good one.
My goal is to stop asking so many basic questions that would be easily found in a book and post here mainly for clarification or something not covered in the books.
What books do you use, or would you like to use?

It might be good to put a "reference book" sticky here too.
Thanks
jim

ladayen 04-05-2012 05:53 PM

Avoid anything from "Dr. Axelrod" My understanding is he is/was in prison for fraud lol.

Baensch has a series of aquarium atlas' that contain alot of information, but are also fairly expensive, about 75 a book and theres 4 of them I think plus other specific books.

I'm slowly reading an icthyolgy textbook(I know not exactly basic but it really explains why certain things are done), thats always an option. Could prolly get a used one for not too much at a thrift store or on an online classified site.

Peter Hiscock has both a mini and full size encylopedia on plants.

thekoimaiden 04-05-2012 10:03 PM

I think one of the main problems with aquarium reference books is that this hobby is constantly changing as more and more scientific studies are done. You would have to buy the most up to date book and even then it will be outdated in a few years (or months depending on research). I would subscribe to a magazine before I bought a reference book. You'll get monthly up to date information and can create your own library.

An ichthyology book is a great read, in my opinion. I love them and have two. But it's going to give you very little information about keeping fish. Mine are mostly about fish physiology and evolutionary history with some conservation and management thrown in there. Great for an ichthyologist or game warden, too in depth for a basic aquarist.

Byron 04-06-2012 10:24 AM

I'm with Izzy. I have some good reference works (Sterba, Baensch & Riehl, etc.) but they are dated. My plant reference works are better, but even here things change fast. I certainly use the internet more now, there are some good sites.

Two magazines I value are Practical Fishkeeping (out of the UK) and Tropical Fish Hobbyist (USA). There are some German ones too, some are online. Aqualog is one:
alle_news.htm

Byron.

angella 04-06-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1036914)
I think one of the main problems with aquarium reference books is that this hobby is constantly changing as more and more scientific studies are done. You would have to buy the most up to date book and even then it will be outdated in a few years (or months depending on research). I would subscribe to a magazine before I bought a reference book. You'll get monthly up to date information and can create your own library.

An ichthyology book is a great read, in my opinion. I love them and have two. But it's going to give you very little information about keeping fish. Mine are mostly about fish physiology and evolutionary history with some conservation and management thrown in there. Great for an ichthyologist or game warden, too in depth for a basic aquarist.

I was going to say the exact same thing :p And another thing I like about asking questions on the forums, no matter how "simple", is that you get a variety of opinions. If someone steers you off a little bit there is usually someone else correcting or offering a different view. I do enjoy some really in-depth fish books though...

If anyone knows of some good magazines with really good fish information, I would love to know about it and possibly order some :) I used to get one a long time ago, forgot what it was though.

Good luck.

Byron 04-06-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angella (Post 1037486)
I was going to say the exact same thing :p And another thing I like about asking questions on the forums, no matter how "simple", is that you get a variety of opinions. If someone steers you off a little bit there is usually someone else correcting or offering a different view. I do enjoy some really in-depth fish books though...

If anyone knows of some good magazines with really good fish information, I would love to know about it and possibly order some :) I used to get one a long time ago, forgot what it was though.

Good luck.

The two English-language mags I previously mentioned are in my view the best (in English). The German one is available online in English translation as well as German. These are good basic informative magazines for the hobby. The authors of most of the articles and columns are highly respected biologists, ichthyologists and/or aquarists. If you expand a bit about what you mean by "good fish information" I might have other suggestions. For example, if you are looking for scientific ichthyological works, I know of some which I follow online.