Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   15 column tank pros and cons? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/15-column-tank-pros-cons-97931/)

jrury 04-04-2012 08:38 PM

15 column tank pros and cons?

I am thinking about upgrading my 10 gallon to a 15 gallon column style tank. Does anybody know if there is any pros and cons of these style tanks.
this is a link to the tank
Aqueon® 15 Gallon Column Deluxe Aquarium Kit - Fish - Boutique - PetSmart

thanks in advance.

nwachter 04-05-2012 08:34 AM

Pros: Beauty, fits in a smaller area, affordable, easy to mantain

Cons: Can't get fish that need alot of swimming area(i.e anglefish, danios, etc.), doesn't come with heater

For that tank I would recomend 1 male betta or 2 dwarf gouramis as a showcase fish/ mystery snail or 4 otos for cleaning algae/ 4 dwarf corys for leftover food/ and neon tetras, cherry barbs, rasboras, or other small tetras(they need to be in atleast a group of 5)

nwachter 04-05-2012 08:35 AM

hope this helps

nwachter 04-05-2012 08:42 AM

Oddball fish for a 36 gallon tank.

is your tank cycled yet

thekoimaiden 04-05-2012 12:26 PM

I would either stay with the 10 gallon or look for something else. The problem with tall tanks is that they don't give fish a lot of swimming room and the small surface area (footprint) of the water prevents gas exchange (fish don't get enough oxygen). Both of these things will greatly limit your stocking options. With fish tanks, wider is always better than taller (angelfish being the notable exception, but your tank is too small for them anyways.)

Out of curiosity, what do you currently have in your tank?

ETA: In a tank this small, you should have no more than one gourami. They are a surface swimming fish and more than one would fight over the small territory.

jrury 04-07-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1036420)
I would either stay with the 10 gallon or look for something else. The problem with tall tanks is that they don't give fish a lot of swimming room and the small surface area (footprint) of the water prevents gas exchange (fish don't get enough oxygen). Both of these things will greatly limit your stocking options. With fish tanks, wider is always better than taller (angelfish being the notable exception, but your tank is too small for them anyways.)

Out of curiosity, what do you currently have in your tank?

ETA: In a tank this small, you should have no more than one gourami. They are a surface swimming fish and more than one would fight over the small territory.

in my tank now i have a Red Tailed shark about a month old and 3 tiger barbs about a week old and an anubius plant . trying to find something bigger for when they start growing fast.

jrury 04-07-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwachter (Post 1036283)
Pros: Beauty, fits in a smaller area, affordable, easy to mantain

Cons: Can't get fish that need alot of swimming area(i.e anglefish, danios, etc.), doesn't come with heater

For that tank I would recomend 1 male betta or 2 dwarf gouramis as a showcase fish/ mystery snail or 4 otos for cleaning algae/ 4 dwarf corys for leftover food/ and neon tetras, cherry barbs, rasboras, or other small tetras(they need to be in atleast a group of 5)

thanks for the help! and if i did get it i would only put some small tetras and shrimp. i will probably wait and get like a 30 or 36 bow front. anything bad about bow fronts?

thekoimaiden 04-08-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrury (Post 1039234)
in my tank now i have a Red Tailed shark about a month old and 3 tiger barbs about a week old and an anubius plant . trying to find something bigger for when they start growing fast.

I would look for something a little larger with a red tailed shark as they like tanks larger than 48 inches long. They are little, but very active. The tiger barb also need to be in groups of 6 or more as they can get aggressive. Having larger groups keeps the aggression within the group. (Click on the shaded name to read more about each species.)

As a general rule in fishkeeping, never buy a fish that you can't house in the tank you have now. Just a thought for later.

jrury 04-08-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1039814)
I would look for something a little larger with a red tailed shark as they like tanks larger than 48 inches long. They are little, but very active. The tiger barb also need to be in groups of 6 or more as they can get aggressive. Having larger groups keeps the aggression within the group. (Click on the shaded name to read more about each species.)

As a general rule in fishkeeping, never buy a fish that you can't house in the tank you have now. Just a thought for later.

yeah i realized about the tigers in a group after i got them without any real background but they seem to be doing great and they love the shark they act like he's one of them and kind of school with each other. and once they get larger my mom has a 55 bow front i can transfer them too. which now has a red tail that is almost 5 years old and a little less then a foot