Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Amazon Frogbit - Slow Growing (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/amazon-frogbit-slow-growing-97881/)

Geomancer 04-04-2012 06:39 AM

Amazon Frogbit - Slow Growing

So I have some Amazon Frogbit in a 10 gallon with two 10W 6500K CFLs. I was expecting this to grow rather fast and cover the surface, to the point of needing thinned each week.

Well, it has been 1 month and it hasn't even covered half the tank yet =/

I hear this is suppose to be a fast growing plant, but just how fast is fast? It is growing, sending runners, making new plants, but just not very quickly at all. I started with about 10 or so individual plants.

I should mention that I also have Brazilian Pennywort floating in the tank.

1077 04-04-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1035237)
So I have some Amazon Frogbit in a 10 gallon with two 10W 6500K CFLs. I was expecting this to grow rather fast and cover the surface, to the point of needing thinned each week.

Well, it has been 1 month and it hasn't even covered half the tank yet =/

I hear this is suppose to be a fast growing plant, but just how fast is fast? It is growing, sending runners, making new plants, but just not very quickly at all. I started with about 10 or so individual plants.

I should mention that I also have Brazilian Pennywort floating in the tank.

Have not tried frogbit but my pennywort needs thinned out bout every three weeks, or it blocks light to plant's below which then = much slower growth on plant's below.
Longer light period may increase growth a little,but could also induce algae :|
Pennywort I have seem's to grow in spurt's.
Without CO2 enhancement,excel,growth in my low light tanks is measured in weeks,month's which suit's me fine.Could not devote the time to weekly pruning,trimming,with current life schedule=fishing,camping,and the dreaded job:evil:

SomeDudeAtHome 04-04-2012 11:23 AM

How strong is the current in your tank? If you have a HOB filter it may be making too much of a current not giving the frogbit a chance to really multiply.

Geomancer 04-04-2012 11:49 AM

It's a regular HOB rated for 10 gallons, there is only a current on that 1/3 of the tank, the rest is pretty calm.

Byron 04-04-2012 03:12 PM

This plant is a bit odd. It goes through growth spurts followed by considerable decline. I have had this mentioned by a couple of other members too over the past months, so I am assuming this may be normal.

When I acquired a couple of plants consisting of one torn leaf each, it took several weeks before it began to rebound. It quickly spread across the surface of the 90g, to the point where I had to throw about 1/4 of it away every week in order to maintain about 3/4 surface coverage. I moved some into the 115g. In both tanks, several plants flowered (there is a photo of one of these from my tank in the profile). This went on for a couple months, until it suddenly began dying off. After a few weeks I was left with 3 or 4 scraggly plants which remained that way for several weeks. Then it quickly went into another growth spurt.

This past Monday it was nearly covering the surface in my 70g and I thinned it back a bit. It seems to be in another growth spurt phase. I am increasing fertilization (twice instead of once weekly with Flourish Comp) and this seems to have helped it. I used to fertilize twice weekly, then reduced to once, but I am not sure this was directly related.

Some have written that it needs circulation above the tank surface and does not do so well in a fully covered tank. I can't experiment with this as I keep my tanks well covered or fish are on the floor.

I just noticed this growth pattern is not mentioned in the profile, so I will add something.

Byron.

Geomancer 04-05-2012 08:17 AM

I'll give a twice per week dose a try and see if that helps. If I get an algae bloom, I'll know I need to stick with once a week.

Byron 04-05-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1036273)
I'll give a twice per week dose a try and see if that helps. If I get an algae bloom, I'll know I need to stick with once a week.

Algae is caused by light.;-) Though the balance has to be there, but without light beyond what balances the nutrients for the plants, there will be no problem algae.