Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Tankmates for Barbs, Danios, Minnows, and CAE (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/tankmates-barbs-danios-minnows-cae-97866/)

Misomie 04-03-2012 10:06 PM

Tankmates for Barbs, Danios, Minnows, and CAE

I am in the process of transferring my fish from my 20 gallon to my 48x18x18 tank. The oxygen flow is high with a powerful filter, many plants, and plans for a pretty bubbler (the one with rainbow bubbles :D). I'll be keeping the temperature at 72 degrees and provide plenty of hiding places. ;D (I want to build a giant cave with something for my CAE if he grows to ginormous proportions)

I currently have:
x3 Glowlight Danio (4 more will be added)
x2 Zebra Danio (5 more will be added)
x1 Chinese Algae Eater (he is almost 5 inches long and when/if aggression spikes, I'll rehome him. I've only seen him attack slow moving fish, he even shares his hiding places with the others)
x1 Rosy Barb (5 more will be added; 4 females, 1 male)
x6 White Cloud Mountain Minnow (I'll add a few more of these, maybe 3-5)
x4 Tiger Barbs (2 males, 2 females; I think. 1 male and 4 females more will be added)

I've looked through a lot of the fish profiles and have decided that these guys might work out:
x1 Rainbow Shark (I had one for a little while but some form of ick came with him and killed him. He was initially targeted by the barbs and danios but left alone after he chased them back.)
x8 Buenos Aires Tetra
x9 Dawn Tetra
x6 Zebra Loach
x6+ Neon Tetra (I've heard of people keeping them with barbs with no problems plus I want a fish that'll alert me to a disease)

The fish that I mentioned adding, do you think that they should be fine? :3 (Or do you know of other fish that might work out?)

nwachter 04-05-2012 08:49 AM

these guys are good tankmates but watch your biolaoad.

Misomie 04-05-2012 01:46 PM

Ok. ^^

I am thinking about dropping the Rainbow Shark from the list as I'm leaning more towards the Loaches. :3

Hm... I might also drop the Dawn Tetras. *thinks about it*

Byron 04-11-2012 04:08 PM

Those named fish will not all work together, I will assume you know that and are trying to decide.

If you go with loaches, forget the shark and get rid of the CAE. This fish can suddenly get very nasty, and similar fish like loaches (or the shark) would be certain to set this off, and it is not fair to subject the other fish to such stress even briefly.

Forget the Dawn Tetra. I have twice had this species and both times had to get rid of them. In spite of their small size, they are one mean nipper.

Neon tetra should not be combined with barb or danio. Most characins are sedate by comparison, and the stress of all this activity will take its toll. Neon tetra these days are not especially robust fish anyway, and their water parameter preferences differ.

Most of this is detailed in the profiles.

Misomie 04-12-2012 12:29 AM

Ah, ok. (I've already scratched the Dawns and Rainbow)

How about a Banded Cory pair? (like I said, if it was needed I can remove the CAE, only if he went crazy on me though. I wish the store I got him from told me what a butt he'd become. :P I got him because of huge algae problem and because my mom used to have them when I was a child and they never grew more than two inches. Turns out she's not good with fish... ^^;)

Or is there another type of bottom fish that might work?

Edit: Ah, I've already read through all of the fish profiles to find my list. ;D (took forever)

1077 04-12-2012 06:11 AM

I would also scratch Buenos Aires tetra's from the list for they too are fin nipper's on par with the Dawn tetra's.
I too tried the Dawn tetra's and they did nothing but harrass every other tetra ,rasbora,in my tank.
Amazed that such a small, unassuming prettty fish, such as the Dawn tetra would be so aggressive.
Buenos Aires can be nasty mean nipper's of fins in my expierience and could be why chain stores in my area keep them in tank by themselves.
They are pretty, but would maybe work better with larger,faster fish, such as Columbian tetra's or larger barbs such as Rosy barb's,Ruby barbs, but long fins are inviting target's for Buenos Aires.

Byron 04-12-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misomie (Post 1044129)
Ah, ok. (I've already scratched the Dawns and Rainbow)

How about a Banded Cory pair? (like I said, if it was needed I can remove the CAE, only if he went crazy on me though. I wish the store I got him from told me what a butt he'd become. :P I got him because of huge algae problem and because my mom used to have them when I was a child and they never grew more than two inches. Turns out she's not good with fish... ^^;)

Or is there another type of bottom fish that might work?

Edit: Ah, I've already read through all of the fish profiles to find my list. ;D (took forever)

Corys need a group, never one or two, it will stress them terribly. Five or six is a good size if you have one species; if you want more than one (they all get along) then aim for 3 of each (or more, but no less than 3 of each species) and have 2 or 3 species. In a 4-foot tank you can have 30-40 corys.

There is nothing wrong with the loach mentioned, and there are a couple of others. But remove the CAE notwithstanding sentiment. It will stress other fish as it grows. And the reason they often died at 2 inches was due to being kept in too small a space. The stress this places on a fish is significant. Environment is crucial to fish health. And as they grow, they eat less and less algae and turn to other fare, including fish.

Misomie 04-18-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1044380)
Corys need a group, never one or two, it will stress them terribly. Five or six is a good size if you have one species; if you want more than one (they all get along) then aim for 3 of each (or more, but no less than 3 of each species) and have 2 or 3 species. In a 4-foot tank you can have 30-40 corys.

There is nothing wrong with the loach mentioned, and there are a couple of others. But remove the CAE notwithstanding sentiment. It will stress other fish as it grows. And the reason they often died at 2 inches was due to being kept in too small a space. The stress this places on a fish is significant. Environment is crucial to fish health. And as they grow, they eat less and less algae and turn to other fare, including fish.

I thought it was the other Corys that needed a larger group while the banded that needs the small group... (that many corys would be adorable though. X3)

Yeah, I kinda guessed it was due to my mom's poor care of them. :/ (though I kept mine in the same tank that she used XP)

I decided to try and find him a new home (lots of people in my area are seeking larger aggressive fish) but I'll have to wait a few weeks as one of the new barbs I brought in (one of my males would not leave another alone) carried a parasite on it. DX I didn't notice the signs until I emergency transferred them over to the 75 gal and the signs became apparent.... So far only the barbs have it (five dead already, 1 close, 1 far) and the other fish are being their normal healthy self. I'll have to wait to get rid of him when I'm sure he is healthy. (I wish he died rather than the barbs. :evil:) (I've already done a 50% water change, upped the temp. and began treatment....)

It'll be awhile before I add more fish. :/ (and I won't buy from past knowledge again because how misleading it can be. Even though I know next to nothing about fish, I know more than my mom who has been doing it for years. It's rather sad really... :/ Although I did convince her to add plants to her betta tanks and not to clean out the gravel, so it's getting somewhere.)

Byron 04-19-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misomie (Post 1051807)
I thought it was the other Corys that needed a larger group while the banded that needs the small group... (that many corys would be adorable though. X3)

Yeah, I kinda guessed it was due to my mom's poor care of them. :/ (though I kept mine in the same tank that she used XP)

I decided to try and find him a new home (lots of people in my area are seeking larger aggressive fish) but I'll have to wait a few weeks as one of the new barbs I brought in (one of my males would not leave another alone) carried a parasite on it. DX I didn't notice the signs until I emergency transferred them over to the 75 gal and the signs became apparent.... So far only the barbs have it (five dead already, 1 close, 1 far) and the other fish are being their normal healthy self. I'll have to wait to get rid of him when I'm sure he is healthy. (I wish he died rather than the barbs. :evil:) (I've already done a 50% water change, upped the temp. and began treatment....)

It'll be awhile before I add more fish. :/ (and I won't buy from past knowledge again because how misleading it can be. Even though I know next to nothing about fish, I know more than my mom who has been doing it for years. It's rather sad really... :/ Although I did convince her to add plants to her betta tanks and not to clean out the gravel, so it's getting somewhere.)

When I think of the fish I killed due to lack of undrstanding..., and I'm sure many others are the same. If we learn from our mistakes, that at least is good.

Assume the parasite is ich, or white spot? Very common with new fish, due to the stress, nothing more. If caught early can be cured.

Misomie 04-19-2012 08:21 PM

Yeah, it's a bummer to kill pets due to lack of understanding. @_@ It sure does teach you though.

Actually, I think it was dropsy. They were supposed to be given treatment when I first noticed something was up with two of the barbs, but my dad forgot to give the instructions to my brother (I currently don't see my fish for a week at a time but this will stop in a few more weeks and I'll be able to give them full attention). I to;d him a couple times not to forget so hopefully my last two barbs will pull through (I doubt my last tiger will). When I think back they showed signs in the old tank but I thought it was do to my evil tiger barb constantly chasing the females. (seriously non stop; the reason I added two more early). I think adding them to the 75 gal pushed them over the top and caused the main problem. :/ (the danios in the new tank instantly loved it whereas I have never seen the barbs schooling so closely before. :/)