Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Dojo Loach tank requirements (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/dojo-loach-tank-requirements-97844/)

Canadian Fish 04-03-2012 06:22 PM

Dojo Loach tank requirements

Hi, I looked up the Dojo Loach profile here and it says the dojos need a 30 gallon tank. I read this elsewhere as well. Also, aqadvisor says my 36" 35 gallon tank is large enough to house 3.

However, I saw on another site Dojos require 100 gallon minimum tank.

I'm wondering how large a tank they really need. I'd love to house three in my 35 gallon tank with Bleeding Heart Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras.

Thanks.

Byron 04-03-2012 06:35 PM

H'm, I think I'd better revise that profile; I haven't yet. And I would agree that a 30g is insufficient space for 1 let alone 3.

This fish attains 9-12 inches and likes to dig (bury itself) so it needs sand (preferably). It needs room to "live" normally, at least a 4-foot tank. And a group of 3 minimum is recomended. It will eat small fish though, according to Loaches Online which is highly reputable for info. And to a 9-inch fish i would consider Bleeding Heart and Rasbora to be "small" fish.

thekoimaiden 04-03-2012 08:12 PM

Dojos are great, but they probably wouldn't be a good fit in your tank. Kuhli loach (you can see a brown one in my sig or click on the shaded name for our profile) would be a much better choice for you tank. They have a very similar body shape and wouldn't think of your tetra as a snack.

Also, here is the LoachesOnline article on Dojo/weather loaches: Weather Report - Loaches Online

Canadian Fish 04-03-2012 08:16 PM

The Kuhli loaches are too nocturnal for what I'm looking for. I've read you can go days or weeks at a time without seeing them. I like active fish I can enjoy in the daytime. My Zebra Loaches and Corys are great for that.

Olympia 04-22-2012 03:39 PM

Kuhlis only hide when they are uncomfortable.
The more hiding places you give them, the more you will see them.
A happy and secure kuhli will chill out in the middle of the tank no problem. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Olympia 04-24-2012 08:14 AM

Tell me about it... I wanted to start the garden soon!
Posted via Mobile Device

Canadian Fish 04-24-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1055675)
Kuhlis only hide when they are uncomfortable.
The more hiding places you give them, the more you will see them.
A happy and secure kuhli will chill out in the middle of the tank no problem. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

That's good to know. My zebra loaches swim all over, they're one of my favorite fish.

I see you're from Ontario as well. We had snow yesterday. Horrible.