Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Attack of the tiny Snails! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/attack-tiny-snails-97825/)

jjt1979 04-03-2012 12:49 PM

Attack of the tiny Snails!

1 Attachment(s)
My tank has recently been taken over by tiny snails. I would like to get rid of them. I was considering a loach however, I have numerous Nerite snails which I do not want eaten.
My question is: Is there a loach that will only eat very small snails?
If not: What else can I do?

thx
Jt

Geomancer 04-03-2012 12:57 PM

Do not get fish for snail control. A lot of people go for Clown Loaches ... not realizing you need a 125g+ tank for them.

Snails are great for a tank, they do lots of positive things. They will only reproduce to the level of nutrients that will support their population. If you have millions, you are too much food for them.

You have an algae problem though from that picture. That happens from over feeding, and having your tank light on too long during the day. It can also happen from other factors, but live plants really help in cutting back nutrient levels (they use it before the algae can).

But, if you really want them all gone ... that's hard to do. One method is to put a piece of vegetable in at night, then in the morning before the lights turn on you remove it and toss it. It should be covered in snails. Basically it works like a trap. At the least, this will help control their numbers but I really suggest fixing the problem that's causing them to reproduce in such numbers in the first place.

afishcalledlinda 04-03-2012 12:58 PM

i do not think the loaches can tell the them apart so get some lettuce and take the ones off that you want to keep and do what ever with the invaders

jjt1979 04-03-2012 01:04 PM

Thanks Geomancer

Excessive nutrients was my suspicion. I had someone taking care of my tank for a couple weeks. I suspect he was overfeeding even though I told him not too. During that time the timer also malfunctioned after a power outage. Your answer makes perfect sense.

What I didn't realize is that the will not reproduce beyond what the nutrient levels can support. So I wont worry about it now that I am taking care of the tank again.

thx again
Jt

Boredomb 04-03-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1034367)
Do not get fish for snail control. A lot of people go for Clown Loaches ... not realizing you need a 125g+ tank for them.

Snails are great for a tank, they do lots of positive things. They will only reproduce to the level of nutrients that will support their population. If you have millions, you are too much food for them.

You have an algae problem though from that picture. That happens from over feeding, and having your tank light on too long during the day. It can also happen from other factors, but live plants really help in cutting back nutrient levels (they use it before the algae can).

But, if you really want them all gone ... that's hard to do. One method is to put a piece of vegetable in at night, then in the morning before the lights turn on you remove it and toss it. It should be covered in snails. Basically it works like a trap. At the least, this will help control their numbers but I really suggest fixing the problem that's causing them to reproduce in such numbers in the first place.

+1 I will just throw in those look to be Ramshorn snails. I all for snails in an aquarium so don't mess understand me here. I would watch those if you have live plants. They have been known to eat plants so if you don't want holes in your leaves you can.do the things Geomancer suggested. I have also heard that they don't eat plants so it depends on the species of Ramshorn I think.

jjt1979 04-03-2012 01:34 PM

Plants

I appreciate the info but I'm not concerned about the plants.

I dont add CO2 or any ferts. and I have extremely hard water. The plants grow like crazy. It took me almost a year to get the tank to settle in totally. At first nothing would grow. Now its great but even a bit out of control. So if they snack on the plants its ok.

Boredomb 04-03-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjt1979 (Post 1034394)
I appreciate the info but I'm not concerned about the plants.

I dont add CO2 or any ferts. and I have extremely hard water. The plants grow like crazy. It took me almost a year to get the tank to settle in totally. At first nothing would grow. Now its great but even a bit out of control. So if they snack on the plants its ok.

Ok just want to point that out as some people find this to be a problem.

rhymon78 04-04-2012 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hey, Botia Kubotai are good for snail control. they are a loach but are smaller than clowns. My LFS throw a couple in their live plant tanks to sort the snails out. I also have 4 in my 29g tank, and are great fish! not sure how readably available they are though?