Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   black hair algae running rapid. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/black-hair-algae-running-rapid-97687/)

yyankeeyankeefan 04-01-2012 04:40 PM

black hair algae running rapid.

i have black hair algae on only ONE plant. and it is killing me. i don't want to remove the plant but it isn't going away. i have been more strict about how long the light is on in the tank but it doesn't seem to be helping any. i have green and brown algae on all my other stuff. but the otos i have added to the tank are very happy to be eatting that up and quickly. so i am not concerned about that but the black hair algae on this one plant is concerning me. i don't want it to spread to my other plants but it has been there for about 2 weeks and not spread. when i changed the light bulbs in my tank, it grew in quickly. my daughter uses that tank as a night light so a complete shut out isn't possible because she can't sleep without the tank on. and she is two so she doesn't understand why i have to turn it off. it is not on during the day. what can i get/do to get this algae off. or is it impossible and just trash the plant?

Boredomb 04-01-2012 07:56 PM

Well if its been there fir 2 weeks and has not spread anymore then it sounds like you have it under control. As for tbr plant that as it on it. What kind of plant is it? Is it putting out new leaves? If so them with new growth you can cut off the affected leaves as new ones grow. If it is not putting out new leaves and all the leaves are covered then its a goner. Now if it is a stem plant just cut the stem down till Where it isn't affected anymore.

Byron 04-01-2012 08:08 PM

I'm with Boredomb on the algae issue.

The light on during the night is serious for the fish. I appreciate the family issue, but you should find another light (I had a roly-poly when I was that age:lol:).

Light over a fish tank 24/7 is extremely stressful to the fish. They must have a period of total darkness, just as we need and for the same reason. But we can shut our eyes, they can't. Read more here: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...er-fish-81982/

Byron.

yyankeeyankeefan 04-01-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1032808)
I'm with Boredomb on the algae issue.

The light on during the night is serious for the fish. I appreciate the family issue, but you should find another light (I had a roly-poly when I was that age:lol:).

Light over a fish tank 24/7 is extremely stressful to the fish. They must have a period of total darkness, just as we need and for the same reason. But we can shut our eyes, they can't. Read more here: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...er-fish-81982/

Byron.

no the tank is off durring the day. not durring the day there is complete darkness in the tank. no light.

Byron 04-02-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyankeeyankeefan (Post 1032821)
no the tank is off durring the day. not durring the day there is complete darkness in the tank. no light.

By complete darkness I mean total darkness in the tank, which means in the room too, such as one normally has during the night. The fish cannot rest if there is ambient light in the room. If you stand in the room and can see the tank, it is not "dark." And fish need that complete blackness for several hours each day/night.

I happen to have a fish room with my 7 tanks, and the tank lights are on for 8 hours but off the rest of the time. But the fish get about 8 hours of complete darkness. When the daylight occurs in the early morning, say 7 am, the fish wake up and become active, even though the tank light does not come on until 10 am. Similarly, when teh tank light goes off at 6 pm there is (in the summer anyway) still daylight coming in the windows even through closed blinds, and this continues until 10 pm in high summer, and the fish are active until then. They need complete and total darkness at some point.

redchigh 04-02-2012 10:45 AM

I have black fur algae on two leaves of my water lily, and nowhere else. The two leaves it's growing on as the two largest leaves that are right under the light, which leads me to believe it's a light issue. It doesn't seem to spread anywhere else though, so to me, it's not a big deal.

Have you considered making your own 'moon light'?
I do agree that many so called moon lights are a big too bright, but one or two LEDs would not be too much. Complete darkness is relative.. Many plants require 'complete darkness' for 12 hours a night in order to bloom, but even with a full moon, they still bloom. Possibly try to find a good deal on a string of LED holiday lights- preferably blue, and remove all but 2 or 3 of the bulbs. Then you can set it on a timer to come on at night, and it won't bother the fish. (holiday LED lights are extrremely weak.. less than 1 lumen each. )

I also agree with Byron that ambient light during the day + tank light at night isn't going to work for the fish.

yyankeeyankeefan 04-02-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1033265)
By complete darkness I mean total darkness in the tank, which means in the room too, such as one normally has during the night. The fish cannot rest if there is ambient light in the room. If you stand in the room and can see the tank, it is not "dark." And fish need that complete blackness for several hours each day/night.

I happen to have a fish room with my 7 tanks, and the tank lights are on for 8 hours but off the rest of the time. But the fish get about 8 hours of complete darkness. When the daylight occurs in the early morning, say 7 am, the fish wake up and become active, even though the tank light does not come on until 10 am. Similarly, when teh tank light goes off at 6 pm there is (in the summer anyway) still daylight coming in the windows even through closed blinds, and this continues until 10 pm in high summer, and the fish are active until then. They need complete and total darkness at some point.

there is no light on durring the day in my daughter's room. they don't like to play in there so there is no light. she also has the energy saving curtins that block out sun light. so you can't see in the tank. the only way you can see the fish is if you happen to see one that is right on the glass. other then that they are not able to be seen. they do get complete darkness and i do cover the tank with a blanket if we turn on the light to do anything in that room.