Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   55 Gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/55-gallon-9762/)

vinoth1465 12-03-2007 04:15 PM

55 Gallon

i recently met someone that owns a fish tank, but the ocupants took me by suprise... just wanted to share w/ everyone...

he has a 55 gallon tank with 2 HOB filters (400 GPH), 1 internal Filter (230 GPH) and 1 external filter (75 Gph)

Ocupants: 2 tiger oscars - 5" / 1 male jack dempsey 5" and 1 Female Jack dempsey 4"

i thought one Oscar by itself required a 55 G... isnt the tank over crowded... or will the filters even it out... i didnt get enough time to talk to him...

the tank has a lot of caves and rock to provide ample hiding spots. he does 30% water change every 10 days... and the food... only frozen brine shrimp... will the fish be happy with just frozen brine shrimp...

Discusgirl18 12-03-2007 05:55 PM

Yes it is a little over crowded two oscars are plenty for that tank. Anything more than two oscars would be to much for the tank. Oscars need a lot of room.

jeaninel 12-04-2007 09:59 PM

Also would like to add a note on the food. Feeding just brine shrimp is not good. He should feed them a variety of foods so that the fish get a balanced diet. Flake, cichlid pellets, freeze dried krill, bloodworms are some possibilities. Also some veggies once in a while.

vinoth1465 12-05-2007 08:31 AM

i am going back to his place to fix some network issues on his computers... let me see if i can talk to him and get more info...

vinoth1465 12-05-2007 04:20 PM

ok, heres what i got out of him... i kept the chatter to minimum as i was busy with work... he feeds them frozen brine in the morning and nights...

he showed me his guppies 50 G breeder tank that was else where in the house... it was heavily planted with java moss and grass... he feeds them live guppies once every other evening, and on the weekends he gives them veggies and flakes.

about size of the tank and space, he didnt seem like the kind of person that would take advice from a 23 yr old...

i asked him about the Jack's if they get aggressive to oscars, he said only if the temp increases... he keeps it at a constant 78 degree...

Gump 12-07-2007 07:04 PM

55s are not large enough for a single oscar. Agree with a better diet being needed as well, brine/flake are not good cichlid staple foods.

Discusgirl18 12-08-2007 05:53 PM

Thats wierd because they Oscars and jacks dont ususally get along but yes he should think about getting a 20 or 30 gallon tank just for the jacks.

vinoth1465 12-08-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discusgirl18
Thats wierd because they Oscars and jacks dont ususally get along but yes he should think about getting a 20 or 30 gallon tank just for the jacks.

what i did notice was, that the oscars were always on the top front...

the male jack (bigger one) was in the bottom middle... just sitting there...

the female jack (smaller and leaner) was the one that was kinda following the oscars are chasing them time to time... and ofcourse, this observation was for less then half a day...