Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   75 gallon severum tank stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/75-gallon-severum-tank-stocking-97598/)

smoodgie6 03-31-2012 04:41 PM

75 gallon severum tank stocking

my stocking idea includes:
1 severum
1 Blue acara
6 giant danios
1 bristlenose pleco

are there any other fish i could add to this stocking? Im going to filter with an eheim 2213 canister and an aquaclear 70 and may try some hardy plants such as java fern although i know severums tend to eat plants

Philnominal 03-31-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoodgie6 (Post 1031325)
my stocking idea includes:
1 severum
1 Blue acara
6 giant danios
1 bristlenose pleco

are there any other fish i could add to this stocking? Im going to filter with an eheim 2213 canister and an aquaclear 70 and may try some hardy plants such as java fern although i know severums tend to eat plants

First off I would up the filtration, Cichlids are very messy fish.

Second off what type of severum are we talking about? If you get a Rotkeil they stay considerably smaller then the Green Severum and it's color morphs. This is lighter on the bioload and gives you more options.

What are you looking for? A school of fish or another larger fish? Something odd like an eel or what?

If you go with a rotkeil, up your filtration and have live plants (I doubt your sev will eat java fern, but it might tear it up mine hasn't yet but he is still small)

If you elaborate on which species of severum you wish to have it would be easier to give you a definitive answer.

smoodgie6 03-31-2012 08:23 PM

which of the severums would you say is more aesthetically pleasing and which would allow for more options in terms of tank mates. and to answer your question i would prefer larger tank mates but if they're not possible smaller ones would be fine.

Philnominal 03-31-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoodgie6 (Post 1031584)
which of the severums would you say is more aesthetically pleasing and which would allow for more options in terms of tank mates. and to answer your question i would prefer larger tank mates but if they're not possible smaller ones would be fine.

Rotkeil or Red head severums are very eye pleasing. But in all fairness all severums are. They would allow you to have more options for tank mates because they stay smaller. Consequently they tend to be rarer and more expensive.

I would add something allong the lines of a sengal bichir. Simple interesting fish (not very expensive at all like 10 for a small one 15 for a medium). Not your typical body type and tends to get decent size. Though they can be territorial as well as the cichlids. Id provide it with a long narrow tube or hollow log of some kind to hide in.

For plants Anubias and Java fern would be your best friend. Extremely easy to care for and bitter tasting to fish.

smoodgie6 03-31-2012 08:50 PM

if i had two severums would they have to be a pair and if i did have two would that only leave room for some smaller fish

Philnominal 03-31-2012 08:56 PM

2 severum would claim then entire tank. Even if they didnt pair. (simple way to avoid this is get one Heros Severus and one Heros sp. 'rotkeil'. Being different species I don't think they would/could cross breed but im not sure.

Short answer is yes, with those two you should at most only have a small ground clean up crew and one top water school. And a lot of filtration.