Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Nitrogren Cycle still going? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/nitrogren-cycle-still-going-9758/)

verbosity 12-03-2007 02:43 PM

Nitrogren Cycle still going?

Alright, I just moved a 55 gallon tank from a location over 2 hours away.

I used all the same media they had in it without cleaning any of it.

Includes two fake plants, one decorative big rock, a biowheel 330, the gravel, and about 8 fish

Anyway, the water is brand new from my tap of course.

I have tested this fish tank two days in a row.
.25 ammonia
0 nitrate
5 nitrite

It has been the same for both test now.

Is this tank cycled? One test was done near feeding, and the other no where near feeding.

Little-Fizz 12-03-2007 02:53 PM

I just tested the ammonia in my cycling tank (almost fourth week cycling) And it reads zero ammonia. I tested nitrites this morning and had a reading of 1.0 I haven't tested nitrates in a while, but I do know they register. I think it was ten last time I checked. So I would say your tank is not finished cycling. I'm pretty sure if it was fully cycled and you were just having water problems your nitrates would show up. But if I am right, expect ammonia for a while, then nitrites and then nitrates. Just keep up with water changes. How long did it take to move the tank? Perhaps to much bacteria died during the move?

verbosity 12-03-2007 03:07 PM

Fish where returned to tank in four hours.. This counts the hour temperature match for their water.. so everything else was back in place within 3 hours.

The biowheels on the filter where kept in water/air mix.

Little-Fizz 12-03-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verbosity
Fish where returned to tank in four hours.. This counts the hour temperature match for their water.. so everything else was back in place within 3 hours.

The biowheels on the filter where kept in water/air mix.

It sounds like it should have been alright. I can't be sure though... All I know is your readings don't match that of a cycled tank, sorry I don't really know what else to say... :dunno: I'm sure someone else can help out.

verbosity 12-04-2007 08:13 AM

YAY!! This morning my ammonia is zero.. didn't have time to do other test.

Little-Fizz 12-04-2007 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verbosity
YAY!! This morning my ammonia is zero.. didn't have time to do other test.

Awesome, once you get results for the other tests post them :)

jeaninel 12-04-2007 10:08 PM

Once you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and some nitrate reading you are cycled.

verbosity 12-05-2007 06:07 AM

5:10 PM 12/4/07
55 Gallon Tank
Am-0
No2-0
No3-5
PH-8

Woo!! I'm cycled!

Now for the other two tanks.