Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Ten gallon stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/ten-gallon-stocking-97528/)

maxw47 03-31-2012 01:06 AM

Ten gallon stocking

So let's say that I have a ten gallon with 3 platies (1 male 2 females). I also have 2 cories (which I am thinking of rehoming because they were kind of rescued). Could I have room for a scarlet badis? They seem really neat. Would it bug my RCS? Thanks!

Termato 03-31-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxw47 (Post 1030685)
So let's say that I have a ten gallon with 3 platies (1 male 2 females). I also have 2 cories (which I am thinking of rehoming because they were kind of rescued). Could I have room for a scarlet badis? They seem really neat. Would it bug my RCS? Thanks!

This would be your tank with your suggestions:
http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.p...:200912171328:

I think you should keep the corys in there...maybe even get one more? This is assuming it is a small cory like the bronze cory about 3" max size.

Do you have plants in the tank? with plants that would not be a problem. Make sure you drip acclimate the scarlet badis so not to shock him.

This would be your tank with the 3rd cory. the corys would be happier:

http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.p...:200912171328:

maxw47 03-31-2012 01:57 AM

Good idea on using that site! Why didn't. I think of that idea? I do have live plants. The cories are panda cories which are, from my knowlage, a smaller species. Would the scarlet badis do anything to my shrimp? I did forget to mention that I have a bunch of platy fry in a hang on refugium. If that changes stocking at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Termato 03-31-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxw47 (Post 1030725)
Good idea on using that site! Why didn't. I think of that idea? I do have live plants. The cories are panda cories which are, from my knowlage, a smaller species. Would the scarlet badis do anything to my shrimp? I did forget to mention that I have a bunch of platy fry in a hang on refugium. If that changes stocking at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

That would change your stocking.

Panda Cory are smaller species. I wish I had some.

Well because you only have 2 corys it will be fine getting the badis now. Especially because their in their own net. You should get another tank just for the fry because when they get bigger...it will be a problem. Once you do that just get the other cory.

maxw47 03-31-2012 04:12 PM

Wait, who are you saying is in a separate net? I might set up a 20 long or a 50 in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device

Termato 03-31-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxw47 (Post 1031248)
Wait, who are you saying is in a separate net? I might set up a 20 long or a 50 in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device

The baby fry in the hang on refugium...i didnt mean net...it could be plastic for all i know.

Does the holder of the fry allow the tank water to flow through it?

maxw47 03-31-2012 05:21 PM

The hang on refugium is this small plastic (it runs about half the length of my 10 gallon) tank. It has a bubbler that sucks water up into it ( kind of like how a sponge filter sucks water up) and then it overflows out back into the tank. Pretty cool actually. It keeps all of them safe and sound, while having a steady flow, and it doesn't take up space in the aquarium.

Termato 03-31-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxw47 (Post 1031299)
The hang on refugium is this small plastic (it runs about half the length of my 10 gallon) tank. It has a bubbler that sucks water up into it ( kind of like how a sponge filter sucks water up) and then it overflows out back into the tank. Pretty cool actually. It keeps all of them safe and sound, while having a steady flow, and it doesn't take up space in the aquarium.

How much was that?

maxw47 03-31-2012 05:36 PM

I got it for $15 at my LFS. I haven't seen them at any stores like petsmart or petco. If you want the name, it is the hang on holding and breeding box. I have the large.

Byron 03-31-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxw47 (Post 1030725)
Posted via Mobile Device

I would not recommend a Scarlet Badis with large fish (the livebearers compared to the tiny Badis are huge;-)). Badis can be intimidated. They can also be fussy eaters, requiring live food and if lucky frozen; prepared foods are not always eaten. I have three in my 10g, and a shrimp; the Badis is much too small to bother a shrimp.:lol: The platy if full grown might eat the shrimp. And three platy in a 10hg is about it, although the corys are OK.

Byron.