Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Dilema involving a new tank and current fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/dilema-involving-new-tank-current-fish-97517/)

Misomie 03-30-2012 10:40 PM

Dilema involving a new tank and current fish

I have recently acquired a 75gal tank. It used to be a salt water tank so I gave it a thorough cleaning with vinegar and let it run, ect.

Currently it has 65 pounds of gravel and today I added three plants, 9 feeder guppies (all less than half an inch long), and four ghost shrimp to test and helps the tank's progress. I have observed them and they appear perfectly happy and love all the space.

The dilema? Two weeks ago two of my danios paired off and went rouge on the other fish. :K Their view of establishing a pecking order was killing a one-eyed danio and injuring the two oldest danios (one around 2 or 3 yrs old, the other 5+). The young one was fast so he only received some injury but the older one had his fins almost completely shredded. I returned the evil pair to the store and moved my injured one into a 1 gallon tank (the only one I could trust to be safe). Although I added a bubbler, heater, small fake plant, some rocks, and a handful of ammonia absorbing crystals, he HATES it. However, I can't add him to the 20 gallon until his fins are re-grown because in his weakened state the barbs pick on him. :K

The question: Should I add him and the other danios to the 75 gallon with the guppies tomorrow? (I was going to move them in a few more weeks to be safe but I'd hate to have him die of stress in that sorry excuse for a tank....)

My green tiger barb also looks like she is about to lay eggs and I really want these to hatch (by keeping them in the 1 gallon) to help balance my barb count. :K

I swear they did this on purpose to prove that I needed a hospital/quarantine/breeding tank. Butt heads should have waited a few more weeks to go crazy.

kitten_penang 03-31-2012 07:37 AM

try to have 6 or more of the danios it will help with the pecking issues.as for the little one i don't think adding him with torn fins into a tank that's just about to cycle a good idea.the torn parts could become fungus prone or become worst with the ammonia spike.

Misomie 03-31-2012 08:35 PM

I had seven danios, I just think they were slightly off. @_@ (right now I have four and I don't want to add anymore until I have a quarantine tank set up)

My tank has been running for three weeks now with some water from the twenty, the twenty's filter, some rocks from the twenty, and some yucky stuff that I scooped out from the gravel (my barbs have an obsession with it whenever I harvest it).

It is now heavily planted and tomorrow I'll be buying some more medicine (the Fish Keeper) to begin weekly treatment of the 75 gal.

I also closely examined my guy's fins and they are growing back pretty quickly (he's the long fin kind and right now they are slightly longer than the short finned kind). He also seems to be swimming at his normal speed so I'm going to see how he does in the twenty gallon again. *hopes barbs leave him be*

kitten_penang 04-02-2012 08:39 AM

looks like everyhing is going well since his fins are growing back. it's great your adding more plants but make sure the waters clean coz dirt does surface when you re-plant in the tank

Misomie 04-02-2012 04:18 PM

Ah, I put him back in and the barbs left him alone (except for this stupid young one who thinks it is possible to catch danios @_@). He is sooo much happier and calmer now. However, one of the smaller danios began picking on the one that is smaller than him. :K I'm going to risk adding one more fish... Grrrrr!

I had my LFS test water from the 75gal and they said it is halfway cycled so Ill have them re-test it in three weeks. ;D

Everyday I count the fish in the cycling tank and I haven't lost any (I especially look out for a little fry that snuck in and he seems to be growing). The ghost shrimp are also helping remove the algae that I missed and cleaning the gunk off the filter. I hope they stay around for awhile (I'll be making sure that there are hiding places for the little fish).

kitten_penang 04-04-2012 12:26 PM

glad to hear all going well.... adding fish to a tank that is cycling can be done but it has to be a slow process a few fishes a week.

Misomie 04-04-2012 03:08 PM

The balance is being restored. :D *keeping a close eye on them* You guys better not do anything to mess this up. :<

Yeah, I heard that you can add fish to a cycling tank, and even though my fish are all pretty hardy and there are plants, I want to wait until I either have to or the cycle is complete.

kitten_penang 04-06-2012 11:06 AM

hahaha you have patients..good for you not many have it..