Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   90g & BGK (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/90g-bgk-97475/)

Exterrestrial 03-30-2012 03:12 PM

90g & BGK

Hopefully (Fingers crossed) I'll be getting a 90g tomorrow. After it cycles, what should I add? I really love BGKs, so I was thinking of taking everything out of one of my 55gs and putting it in the 90g. Would ll this work?

Cherry barbs,
loaches,
snails,
golden barbs,
pearl gourami,
Cories,
Black Ghost Knife

Of course assuming there are lots of rock caves, driftwood, and lots of plants.

kitten_penang 03-31-2012 07:47 AM

if it worked in the 55 the 90 should be better :lol:

Philnominal 03-31-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exterrestrial (Post 1030030)
Hopefully (Fingers crossed) I'll be getting a 90g tomorrow. After it cycles, what should I add? I really love BGKs, so I was thinking of taking everything out of one of my 55gs and putting it in the 90g. Would ll this work?

Cherry barbs,
loaches,
snails,
golden barbs,
pearl gourami,
Cories,
Black Ghost Knife

Of course assuming there are lots of rock caves, driftwood, and lots of plants.

Black Ghost knifes get a lot bigger then everyone expects. They WILL get wider then the average 90 gallon tank if they are not stunted. They WILL eat (or attempt to eat) anything that can fit in its mouth. This leaves the cherry barbs and corys for a snack for him. (well that is until it tries to eat the corys and gets it stuck in its mouth). Them being an inflexible fish you would need a tank 24 inches wide min for a BGK. The Gold barbs might also be a target for eating, and depending on the loach species. I personally wouldn't do it. If you are i would try to get my hands on a Brown Ghost Knife as they tend to stay considerably smaller then their black cousins. They max out at about 14-15 inches, but you still have the danger of them eating your other fishs.

Knifes are also extremely sensitive to water Params and prefer lots of floating plants to dim any lighting in the tank. Extremely fussy eaters and require somewhere for them to hide that is large enough for them to fit into.

Sanguinefox 04-05-2012 03:11 PM

That 90 gallon isn't really going to cut it for a Ghost Knife once full grown. If I were you I'd rehome the ghost knife to avoid difficulties down the road unless you intend to upgrade to a much bigger aquarium.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 1030845)
if it worked in the 55 the 90 should be better :lol:

What works for a young fish may not always work for an adult. I could throw a Congo Bichir in my 75 right now and it might be okay for a month. That doesn't mean it's going to be okay when it grows up into a meter long monster.

CatSoup 04-06-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguinefox (Post 1036532)
That 90 gallon isn't really going to cut it for a Ghost Knife once full grown. If I were you I'd rehome the ghost knife to avoid difficulties down the road unless you intend to upgrade to a much bigger aquarium.

What works for a young fish may not always work for an adult. I could throw a Congo Bichir in my 75 right now and it might be okay for a month. That doesn't mean it's going to be okay when it grows up into a meter long monster.

I don't think a bgk is in the picture yet. I think it was a want and a question of whether or not they would be good in the new tank.

nicolaas 04-08-2012 11:38 AM

The BGK will kill the snails, mine killed a big golden apple.

Adamson 05-11-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philnominal (Post 1031006)
Black Ghost knifes get a lot bigger then everyone expects. They WILL get wider then the average 90 gallon tank if they are not stunted. They WILL eat (or attempt to eat) anything that can fit in its mouth. This leaves the cherry barbs and corys for a snack for him. (well that is until it tries to eat the corys and gets it stuck in its mouth). Them being an inflexible fish you would need a tank 24 inches wide min for a BGK. The Gold barbs might also be a target for eating, and depending on the loach species. I personally wouldn't do it. If you are i would try to get my hands on a Brown Ghost Knife as they tend to stay considerably smaller then their black cousins. They max out at about 14-15 inches, but you still have the danger of them eating your other fishs.

Knifes are also extremely sensitive to water Params and prefer lots of floating plants to dim any lighting in the tank. Extremely fussy eaters and require somewhere for them to hide that is large enough for them to fit into.

Clearly you have not had a BGK. ;-)

90 gallon will be fine, BGK's have small mouths, no teeth, more of like a snout that they suck things up with.

Olympia 05-11-2012 05:38 AM

As a fish with the potential to reach 20 inches, you should have a tank that is at least 2 feet wide (and much longer). The BGK lacks the ability to bend it's body so it needs lots of room to turn around.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_penang 05-11-2012 02:35 PM

he was talking about a bgk that's about to be bought it's not like he already has it and i was telling him that if the fishes excluding the bgk did well in the 55 obviously the 90 would be better.