Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   QT tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/qt-tank-97342/)

fishcrazy1824 03-29-2012 09:19 AM

QT tank
 
I want to set up a quarantine tank. I should have set one up a while ago obv. but I didnt and now I would like some advice on how to properly go about it?? Appreciate it!:-D

Tazman 03-29-2012 09:29 AM

You would need a sponge filter / air pump appropriate for the size of your tank.
Place the sponge filter in your main tank for a period of 3-4 weeks, this will allow the bacteria to transfer to it and seed it (it does not have to be running)
Leave the tank bare bottom, it makes vacuuming easier and if you need to treat with meds, doesnt render your substrate useless.
A Heater appropriate for the tank size and adjustable NOT one preset, this allows you to increase temperature should you need to treat ich for example.

The benefit of using a sponge filter, is once the QT period is over and the fish in the main tank, you can put the sponge filter into the main tank hidden in a corner. If you used any medications in the QT tank then wash it and then place it back into the display tank. This way if you ever need it again, it is seeded and ready to go. It does not have to be running

fishcrazy1824 03-29-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1028458)
You would need a sponge filter / air pump appropriate for the size of your tank.
Place the sponge filter in your main tank for a period of 3-4 weeks, this will allow the bacteria to transfer to it and seed it (it does not have to be running)
Leave the tank bare bottom, it makes vacuuming easier and if you need to treat with meds, doesnt render your substrate useless.
A Heater appropriate for the tank size and adjustable NOT one preset, this allows you to increase temperature should you need to treat ich for example.

The benefit of using a sponge filter, is once the QT period is over and the fish in the main tank, you can put the sponge filter into the main tank hidden in a corner. If you used any medications in the QT tank then wash it and then place it back into the display tank. This way if you ever need it again, it is seeded and ready to go. It does not have to be running

awesome, thx! what size would you recommend?

Tazman 03-29-2012 09:35 AM

10g depending on how many fish you are QT'ing.
Larger if they are big fish.

Try and QT the same type of fish together and NOT mix, mixing increases the chances of getting a disease which can kill off the other fish.

fishcrazy1824 03-29-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1028463)
10g depending on how many fish you are QT'ing.
Larger if they are big fish.

Try and QT the same type of fish together and NOT mix, mixing increases the chances of getting a disease which can kill off the other fish.

Ok will do. Do I just leave the water in the qt tank when its not being used? I read somewhere about using my main tank water??

Tazman 03-29-2012 09:43 AM

I would start with freshwater (treated with a dechlorinator) and not use the display tank water.

Organisms can be dormant in the main display water which could activate given the right situation and infect your QT tank. Once the QT period is over, drain the tank and leave the filter in your main tank assuming you used no medication.

Tazman 03-29-2012 09:47 AM

It may also be beneficial to purchase the next filter up from your tank size.

This will give you slightly more surface area in which to get more bacteria adhered to it, it will also allow you to handle a slightly bigger bioload (ie more fish)

Tazman 03-29-2012 09:48 AM

I have to head off now, but am sure other members will add anything and answer questions, I will reply later on when I return if you have anything else not answered already.

fishcrazy1824 03-29-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1028469)
I would start with freshwater (treated with a dechlorinator) and not use the display tank water.

Organisms can be dormant in the main display water which could activate given the right situation and infect your QT tank. Once the QT period is over, drain the tank and leave the filter in your main tank assuming you used no medication.

Ok, thx :-D Youve been a great help!!

I am putting this plan into action asap.

alsooo quick question....since you are so well informed.;-) how long should I wait before I add new fish? I mean after the ich treatment...?

Tazman 03-29-2012 01:59 PM

First of all, DO NOT treat for ich or any other disease unless it is present and you know what disease it is.

Second, the fish should stay in QT for 4 weeks to allow any issues to come up and be resolved. NOw if nothing comes up and they are healthy, go ahead and add them to the tank at the end of the QT period.

Now, if you do have to treat for lets say ich, you need to wait, 7-10 days after the last cyst has dropped off the fish, by cysts I mean the look of the fish being sprinkled in salt. Once that has occurred then about 2-3 days after that, the extra time to make sure it is indeed the end of the infection, then it will be fine to add them to the tank.

Bare in mind though,if you have used medications, then it is best to introduce the fish, as if they are new, by proper acclimation. The QT tank and the display tank should have the same parameters the fish are ultimately going to live in UNLESS you raise the temperature for ich treatment.

If you have fish you still want to acquire and have used medication in the QT tank, then as mentioned, clean it out, with a mild vinegar water solution to make sure any traces of the ich parasite are gone, seed the filter again once cleaned and then begin again.

There is NO rush in this hobby, doing things slowly reaps more rewards than rushing in and buying fish, Patience really is a virtue and goes a long way to providing a stable, healthy environment for your fish to live in for many years to come.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2