Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   OK, Ill ask..... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ok-ill-ask-9731/)

gilfish 12-02-2007 11:39 AM

OK, Ill ask.....

Do fish sleep? The only of my 30 fish that look to be sleeping under my moonilight lights are my tiger barbs that take a vertical position with noses facing the floor. Any insight? :shock:

willow 12-02-2007 11:43 AM

hi
i find that once the lights are off the fish tend to hang
around,no swimming,so i guess they are catching some zzzzzzs.

Little-Fizz 12-02-2007 12:17 PM

They don't fully sleep. They always need to be aware of their surrounding. Think of it as they are resting but "keeping one eye open" Once it's dark my fish are always chilling on the bottom and they will move slightly if they notice I am there but they are pretty much inactive. I think they like turn half their brains off or something... Or is that dolphins? I'm sure they are simular.

Little-Fizz 12-02-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
They don't fully sleep. They always need to be aware of their surrounding. Think of it as they are resting but "keeping one eye open" Once it's dark my fish are always chilling on the bottom and they will move slightly if they notice I am there but they are pretty much inactive. I think they like turn half their brains off or something... Or is that dolphins? I'm sure they are simular.

Yeah I just looked it up, dolphins and whales are the ones that turn their brains half off, because they are conscious breathers they just cannot be fully unconscious incase they didn't wake up in time to breath. Fish (depending on what kind) Just rest or remain still propped up against a rock or maybe hidden somewhere, wedged into a log ect. Not sharks though, as they need to always be moving so the water passes through their gills. Lol I'm glad you asked this question. I always knew that the whales and dolphins turned half their brains off but I never really thought as to why. And now I know.

scottven 12-02-2007 07:36 PM

My convicts definitely sleep. If someone walks too close to the tank while they're sleeping they take off like a shot and bounce of the walls. :?

Even once the light comes on, it takes them a good 2 minutes to wake up fully.

Lupin 12-02-2007 08:01 PM

Yep, fish sleep. Nice research, Little Fizz.:mrgreen:

Little-Fizz 12-02-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottven
My convicts definitely sleep. If someone walks too close to the tank while they're sleeping they take off like a shot and bounce of the walls. :?

Even once the light comes on, it takes them a good 2 minutes to wake up fully.

Well all fish are different. Probably the reason they take off like that is because they aren't fully there but still semi conscience. So when you go close to the tank they don't really know what going on, only that their lives may be in danger. My fish take a while to come around in the morning too. I usually have to wait a good while before I can feed them.

PrettyKitty187 12-02-2007 08:05 PM

I'm pretty sure an algae eater I had several years ago slept because he would stop sucking on the glass for about an hour or so

or he was just lazy (more interested in eating the algae tab than the algae in the tank lol)