Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Swordtail and Platy Issues (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/swordtail-platy-issues-97302/)

markpelly 03-28-2012 05:20 PM

Swordtail and Platy Issues
 
So recently we lost 4 guppies in our tank...very randomly. The two platies and swordtail are fine and are having the time of their life. The only issue is that one of the platies and the swordtail have been getting into some crazy fish brawls. I am not sure if they are mad about the other tank mates not being there anymore..or that they just are not compatible. They have never done this before.

For a little back ground as well, we just got our ammonia level down significantly. It is now stable .5 or 1.

Tank size is 20g and we have a 20 gallon Aqueon pump. We personally think we need a bigger pump but that is in the future.

I have also noticed that the two platies seem to hide more lately. And all the fish seem to like to sit near the top of the tank. Which seems like they are going there to get extra oxygen or something. Could this be possible?

chevysoldier 03-28-2012 10:18 PM

The only acceptable ammonia level in an aquarium is zero. You need to be doing daily water changes, 25%-50% and treating with a conditioner, I uses Prime. The fish being at the top of the tank is probably due to high ammonia and low oxygen. Get a bubbler and that should help with oxygen. What is your stocking?

Also, research the Nitrogen Cycle, you need to understand it.

Hanky 03-28-2012 10:33 PM

Yea ammonia levels of 1 should of killed all the fish you have, My guess is tank is not cycled yet, keep up with water changes to keep them below .5, eventually when it is cycled there should be no ammonia.
High ammonia can effect fish behavior.

markpelly 03-29-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanky (Post 1028234)
Yea ammonia levels of 1 should of killed all the fish you have, My guess is tank is not cycled yet, keep up with water changes to keep them below .5, eventually when it is cycled there should be no ammonia.
High ammonia can effect fish behavior.

I agree, it should be below 1. But the tank has been above 3 for a long time now. I finally have it below 1 and the fish die? A little weird.

I do not want to do more water changes however because the water has a highlevel of chloramine and kills my bacteria quickly. I treat the water everytime I add it with ammonia detox and water conditioner. It has been slowly bringing down the ammonia.

markpelly 03-29-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevysoldier (Post 1028220)
The only acceptable ammonia level in an aquarium is zero. You need to be doing daily water changes, 25%-50% and treating with a conditioner, I uses Prime. The fish being at the top of the tank is probably due to high ammonia and low oxygen. Get a bubbler and that should help with oxygen. What is your stocking?

Also, research the Nitrogen Cycle, you need to understand it.

I understand the the nitrogen cycle, the tank has been up for a few months now.

I am not going to do lots of water changes as this will continue to bring my ammonia levels up.

Any other suggestions?

markpelly 03-29-2012 08:23 AM

I have been using this information for cycling: Link here

1077 03-29-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpelly (Post 1028425)
I understand the the nitrogen cycle, the tank has been up for a few months now.

I am not going to do lots of water changes as this will continue to bring my ammonia levels up.

Any other suggestions?

Amquel plus, or Prime would eliminate the need for ammonia detox which may leave chlorine but detoxify ammonia.
Other water conditioner's may detoxify chlorine but leave ammonia.
The two product's i mentioned will detoxify chlorine,chloramines,and ammonia.
if products don't clearly state that they detoxify all three ,then they don't.
Prime would be my choice for water conditioner.

If as you say,,ammonia was at one time 3.0,then damage has been done and fishes could die slowly from the exposure to these levl's or slowly over a few weeki's month's.

1077 03-29-2012 09:14 AM

My apolgies for horrific spelling above.:oops:
Couldn't edit in time

markpelly 03-29-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1028446)
My apolgies for horrific spelling above.:oops:
Couldn't edit in time

Haha no worries.

I am using:

Aquenon Water Conditioner
AmQuel Plus

Every time I add water to the tank.

Hanky 03-29-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpelly (Post 1028427)
I have been using this information for cycling: Link here

Thats actually a neat little article with the graphs and all, I cant believe your fish lived in such high ammonia, I guess its possible they got so used to it that the drop in ammonia stressed them.
I've havent used any of the conditioners you use but I can also recommend Seachem Prime, should be all you need.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2