Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cycling a tank and vacation (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycling-tank-vacation-9727/)

SST 12-02-2007 10:13 AM

Cycling a tank and vacation

I'm cycling a 5 gal tank right now. I don't know that it will be done before I leave on a 1 week vacation. What should I do to continue the process while I'm gone? I don't want to lose progress.

willow 12-02-2007 10:16 AM

hi
how long have you been cycling the tank for already,
and how are you doing it. ?

SST 12-02-2007 11:04 AM

I started cycling with fish food for a week or so, but then I got sick and just let it sit for two weeks. I just got a filter, master test kit, and amonia. Yesterday I cleaned out the detrius of the fish food, installed the sponge filter, and added amnonia. I did readings before and after adding the amonia. Before the pH was very low, and amonia, nitrite, nitrate all read at 0. After, the amonia read at 1 ppm. I haven't yet tested today to see if anything changed.

willow 12-02-2007 11:38 AM

would it not be possible to run this new filter in with
your other tank ?

SST 12-02-2007 12:17 PM

How long would it have to be in there? The other tank is actually a 2 gal bowl and the sponge filter is quite large. If it'll help, I'd be happy to try it.

Just checked the readings and nothing changed except the pH went up.

willow 12-02-2007 03:14 PM

hmmm well i would have said to you run the filter while you were away in the bowl and then transfer it back to the other tank,you could try some bactinates which are on the market,
like the product cycle,there are alot of people who
say that these thing don't work,then again there are
people who say they do.me personally i used cycle.
the only other possibility would be if you have a friend with a
tank either ask them to run your filter in their tank,or ask for
the squeezings from their filter.

SST 12-02-2007 08:40 PM

Thanks!

okiemavis 12-03-2007 07:21 PM

The guy at my fish store gave me a bag full of water (totally brown and gunky!) he had squeezed from a sponge filter in one of his tanks when I was cycling my 10 gallon tank. Of course, I wasn't too worried about the bacteria and such it might carry, as the fish I was getting were from the same place, but that might be a concern for you. On the other hand, it worked like a CHARM. My tank was done cycling in two days and the original fish I added at that point all survive today. Anyone with an established tank could definitely help you out with that!

SST 12-04-2007 09:31 AM

Interesting thought. I might check into that. I'm the only one I know who keeps fish in my circle of friends, so I'd have to go to the LFS.

Could I just put in a couple of spoonfuls of amnonia just before I leave? Will that keep the bacteria busy while I'm gone? It's not urgent that it finishes cycling before I leave, though it would make life better for the betta if I could move him into the bigger tank.

willow 12-05-2007 08:42 AM

hi
you could try it,see if it works,if all else fails
start it up again when you get back.