Tropical Fish Keeping banner

molly and gold fish tank mates?

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  thekoimaiden 
#1 ·
so my mom brought home this little orange and white fish and i think its a gold fish. i already have a tank with mollies in it and i was wondering if i could put my goldfish in with them because he doesn't look very happy all by himself.

#4 ·
That is a goldfish. He should not be put in with molly for several reasons but primarily the molly need warmth and the goldfish does not. The goldfish also needs space, a 20g long tank or better.

#5 ·
Unfortunately that goldfish (click on the shaded name for more info on them) is going to need a 75 gal or larger tank when it is fully grown. It is a myth that goldfish grow to the size of their tank. Comets (which is the breed of goldfish yours is) will commonly grow over 14 inches and like to have a lot of swimming room. I urge you to return him if you cannot provide a large tank or outdoor pond for him. There are other fish that have similar colors and can be kept with mollies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.