Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   hello im new here but not "new" (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hello-im-new-here-but-not-97183/)

skelator 03-27-2012 11:18 AM

hello im new here but not "new"

hey guys im new here. little brief intro ive had my 46 bowfront with a whisper 60 for about 13 years. ive always kept chiclids. i tried africans and they just kept killing eachother so i switched to south americans. since then i have had great success with them.

i started getting 4 jellybean parrots (i knew nothing about them at the time and i would never buy a dyed fish again) 11 years later i still have one of them left :) hes had several buddies along the way, jack dempsey, convict, flowerhorn, and the occasional african. my fish usually live for years and years but as fish can do occasionally one would develop a problem and not make it.

my girlfriend loved my tank and wanted her own so i got her a killer deal on a used 55g complete setup. i kinda took the reins on this and set it up and it looks really good. in doing so it rekindled my interestion my own tank.

i have since inherited two fish from her that were too aggressive (flowerhorn and a yellow lab). i told her i would take them as my fish are alot bigger than hers.

ill admit i have neglected the tank before all this happened and as a result my fish got ich and i didnt even notice due to my negligence :( by the time i even realized it a real nice dempsey was completly covered. also a recently bought convict was aswell. they both didnt make it unfortunatly. my parrot seems to have completly recovered which im very happy about.

ive been reading alot over the last few days about cannister filters and nitrate filters and im considering an upgrade if its worthwhile. for my perticular case any thoughts?

now im back into it and trying to get the water all straightened out. (high nitrates around 100ppm)

1 11yo parrot fish
1 jack dempsey 4 or 5 inches
1 inherited flowerhorn 3inches
1 inherited yellow lab 2.5inches

skelator 03-27-2012 11:26 AM

i would like to add that i have a 10gallon in my girls room with my lone remaining african from when i started. i believe he was the first african i got and i believe he was the one doing most of the killing in the tank. he has been alone in the ten gallon for many years. he has to be maybe 13 or 14 years old, aside from being a killing machine hes a real nice looking fish!

GwenInNM 03-27-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skelator (Post 1026532)
hey guys im new here. little brief intro ive had my 46 bowfront with a whisper 60 for about 13 years. ive always kept chiclids. i tried africans and they just kept killing eachother so i switched to south americans. since then i have had great success with them.

i started getting 4 jellybean parrots (i knew nothing about them at the time and i would never buy a dyed fish again) 11 years later i still have one of them left :) hes had several buddies along the way, jack dempsey, convict, flowerhorn, and the occasional african. my fish usually live for years and years but as fish can do occasionally one would develop a problem and not make it.

my girlfriend loved my tank and wanted her own so i got her a killer deal on a used 55g complete setup. i kinda took the reins on this and set it up and it looks really good. in doing so it rekindled my interestion my own tank.

i have since inherited two fish from her that were too aggressive (flowerhorn and a yellow lab). i told her i would take them as my fish are alot bigger than hers.

ill admit i have neglected the tank before all this happened and as a result my fish got ich and i didnt even notice due to my negligence :( by the time i even realized it a real nice dempsey was completly covered. also a recently bought convict was aswell. they both didnt make it unfortunatly. my parrot seems to have completly recovered which im very happy about.

ive been reading alot over the last few days about cannister filters and nitrate filters and im considering an upgrade if its worthwhile. for my perticular case any thoughts?

now im back into it and trying to get the water all straightened out. (high nitrates around 100ppm)

1 11yo parrot fish
1 jack dempsey 4 or 5 inches
1 inherited flowerhorn 3inches
1 inherited yellow lab 2.5inches

Welcome! Wow, you need to do a big water change immiedately with nitrates around 100! I bought a used fluval 405 and I love having a canister filter. I also have a HOB filter, but do prefer a canister.

You should find a regular schedule to do your water changes. Your fish will be much happier and healthier :-D

Gwen

skelator 03-27-2012 12:09 PM

thanks for the welcome! yeah i gotta get an new adapter for my python. the threads on the faucet adapter are smoked. im gonna go get one today or tomorrow for sure.

do you think it makes more sense to keep what i have or upgrade to a cannister? i was also thinking of just adding another whisper 60 so i have 2. any thoughts?

GwenInNM 03-27-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skelator (Post 1026573)
thanks for the welcome! yeah i gotta get an new adapter for my python. the threads on the faucet adapter are smoked. im gonna go get one today or tomorrow for sure.

do you think it makes more sense to keep what i have or upgrade to a cannister? i was also thinking of just adding another whisper 60 so i have 2. any thoughts?

Canisters are expensive to buy new, but I once tried a Whisper filter from a used tank I got, and hated it. Too noisy. So, that is up to you. I have to read what size tank you have forgot.

I can't imagine you'd need more filtration in a 46 gal. than what you have.

BarbH 03-30-2012 02:48 AM

Hello and welcome to tfk

willow 03-30-2012 04:43 PM

hello and welcome. :-D