Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   is my fish pregnant or something else (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/my-fish-pregnant-something-else-97137/)

pvallejo31 03-26-2012 09:03 PM

is my fish pregnant or something else

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Please help, I got this fish yesterday and the staff didnt know what was wrong, it looks like she is pregnant ( i think it is a she), but I am not sure. It is supposed to be a platy??... Please let me know I need to make certain changes if so...

fishcrazy1824 03-26-2012 10:05 PM

Its hard to tell from this angle...could just be a balloon version. Although I don't know for certain if Platys come in balloon form. If you look at her from the back is she squared off? I'm pretty sure having looked at this pic upclose that your fish is just a balloon platy. I don't have platys but they are similar to molllys which I do have.... When my mollys are pregnant the bulging belly is usually more towards the tail...but its always better to be safe than sorry. Keep an eye on her for a few days...if shes prego she will pop soon. Gestation is 6wks and that is a biggg belly!! :-)

pvallejo31 03-26-2012 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishcrazy1824 (Post 1025972)
Its hard to tell from this angle...could just be a balloon version. Although I don't know for certain if Platys come in balloon form. If you look at her from the back is she squared off? I'm pretty sure having looked at this pic upclose that your fish is just a balloon platy. I don't have platys but they are similar to molllys which I do have.... When my mollys are pregnant the bulging belly is usually more towards the tail...but its always better to be safe than sorry. Keep an eye on her for a few days...if shes prego she will pop soon. Gestation is 6wks and that is a biggg belly!! :-)

Ok here is another picture this is what looks to me like fry...but I am not sure , maybe it is a balloon platy...if anyone can help please let me know...took forever to get this picture :-) lol

Jayy 03-26-2012 10:28 PM

Well... first off that's not a platy, its a ballon Molly.

pvallejo31 03-26-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayy (Post 1026016)

ok balloon molly, i am new to this, so i am just trying to find out if the fish is going to have babies or he /she is supposed to look like they are going to pop...i was told she was a platy by where i got her...again i am a newbie...i did put question marks as to what she was because I am Not Sure... Please help...

Jayy 03-26-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvallejo31 (Post 1026026)
ok balloon molly, i am new to this, so i am just trying to find out if the fish is going to have babies or he /she is supposed to look like they are going to pop...i was told she was a platy by where i got her...again i am a newbie...i did put question marks as to what she was because I am Not Sure... Please help...

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean. I was just trying to clear things up. I can't tell from the picture if its a male or female. I'm going to teach you how. If the anal fin is flat like a fan: female shaped like a rod: male :)

fishcrazy1824 03-26-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayy (Post 1026016)

I was wondering...thanks for clearing that up :)

pvallejo31 03-26-2012 10:49 PM

No problem, text is one of those things where it is hard to decifer how things are meant (no body language), does (i think she), look pregnant, or is she supposed to look like she is about to pop

Jayy 03-26-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvallejo31 (Post 1026045)
No problem, text is one of those things where it is hard to decifer how things are meant (no body language), does (i think she), look pregnant, or is she supposed to look like she is about to pop

That's just the way they're breed to look, like ballons

pvallejo31 03-26-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayy (Post 1026034)
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean. I was just trying to clear things up. I can't tell from the picture if its a male or female. I'm going to teach you how. If the anal fin is flat like a fan: female shaped like a rod: male :)

it is a girl , and looking at her really close up it looks like those are eggs....but again...i am new