Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Oscars or Angelfish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/oscars-angelfish-97020/)

bettalover2033 03-25-2012 02:01 PM

Oscars or Angelfish?

I have a 55 gallon tank at home and since im moving (YET AGAIN) i'm going to have to empty it and fill it up again obviously:roll:.

So I was wondering. Which fish should I get? An oscar or two or a few Angelfish? I love them both, but it just wont work well with both.

Angelfish I like because they are VERY beautiful fish and even though they aren't 'solitary' fish they are a really nice addition to the tank. They also will make the tank look full. (Unlike now, where I have about 5 gouramis, an eel and a ghost knife). Also they pair themselves off which would be pretty cool to see then bond with another mate. Also I can have them with other fish such as certain tetras and bigger fish ECT.

Oscars I really enjoy because they are 'solitary' fish and something about them just draws me toward them. They will also fill the tank. While I can add some other cichlids like African cichlids and maybe a jack depsy. I LOVE Electric blue african cichlids and certain colors will fit in really well. At the moment, I currently have two african cichlids with a zebra pattern on them both.

I do have one question...Why does one have an orange stomach and the other doesnt?. They are both the same size and look like 'baby" zebra cichlids.
This is the exact way they look:
http://www.waterwayscruises.com/uplo...id-512x325.jpg
And only one of them has that gold/orange looking belly. (Unlike the picture, one of them with the orange/gold has it on both sides and it covers their entire belly). I'll have to get some pictures up soon.

Anyone know a good link as to how to tell male from female?

And this is the EXACT same eel that I bought:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7PD10If-KW...0/DSC04291.jpg

And this is the EXACT same Ghost Knife I got:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5134/...d8f3b8e671.jpg

Both are still small and I was told that the eel can get up to 2 feet. as will the ghost knife. (I'll find out how much that is true though).:roll:

Anyway...What are your thoughts?'

P.S.
I'll get some of my own pictures up soon.

devario 03-25-2012 02:20 PM

Hello, the first picture is of Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum - it is native in central America. The one you
pictured is female, because of the yellow belly - the male is growing bigger, he has never the same color of
belly and besides, he has a bump on his head, the same like the male of angelfish has. Maybe you are lucky
and have a pair, they are breeding easily - they are making holes in the sandy bottom.

Sorry for my english, Im not a native speaker...

Marek

Byron 03-25-2012 05:37 PM

You are going to need a much larger tank for what you have, I hope you realize that. You can check the profile for tank sizes required [click on the shaded fish name]: Black Ghost Knifefish. This will likely eat the gourami as it grows.

One Oscar will fill a 75g tank. Check that profile. It should not be combined with the other fish mentioned.

Scalare Angelfish will work in a 55g, a group of 5 would be nice, but I do not recommend them with gourami. The angelfish is a good match for the BGK as they both need similar environment. But much larger with the BGK.

bettalover2033 03-25-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1024586)
You are going to need a much larger tank for what you have, I hope you realize that. You can check the profile for tank sizes required [click on the shaded fish name]: Black Ghost Knifefish. This will likely eat the gourami as it grows.

One Oscar will fill a 75g tank. Check that profile. It should not be combined with the other fish mentioned.

Scalare Angelfish will work in a 55g, a group of 5 would be nice, but I do not recommend them with gourami. The angelfish is a good match for the BGK as they both need similar environment. But much larger with the BGK.

I do realize this. I plan on getting a 175 gallon or 200 gallon tank in a year or so because I'd like to have bigger fish than I currently have. I'm not a new fish keeper and someone who treats them as decor. I'm glad that I did get the response of "Hey you need more" rather than "Go for it" or "I pick angelfish because they are pretty." You're very helpful.

Okay well I dont plan on keeping all the fish I currently have. I was trying to determine if I wanted Oscar's or Angel fish to "Fill the tank." Since I plan on getting them while they are small, It'll give me time to get them a VERY big tank (200 gallons is my proffered size).

As much as I do want to keep the gourami's, I will get rid of them because im sure they will be harassed either way. I also have goldfish in this tank that will be leaving as well. I must assure you that they are temporarily living in this tank.

So can a BGK and oscar live together? If not, Can an Oscar and the Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum (Convict Cichild live together?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by devario (Post 1024395)
Hello, the first picture is of Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum - it is native in central America. The one you
pictured is female, because of the yellow belly - the male is growing bigger, he has never the same color of
belly and besides, he has a bump on his head, the same like the male of angelfish has. Maybe you are lucky
and have a pair, they are breeding easily - they are making holes in the sandy bottom.

Sorry for my english, Im not a native speaker...

Marek

Thank you! I think I have a pair. One of them has an "yellow" belly and he other one doesnt.

When the male gets the bump on his head, at what age does he get it? Or does he already have it when he is still small?

Tazman 03-25-2012 09:07 PM

Personally I would look at fish more appropriate for the tank size NOW, not in a year or so time.

There are many reasons we sometimes are unable to get larger tanks when we think we might.
I have an enormous basement and as a long term investment seriously considered purchasing a 5000g tank on sale from a reputable store here in Canada which is closing an outlet.
Now at $50,000 EVERYTHING included, including 2 white tip reef sharks, then it would have made an awesome addition. After seriously considering it, several conversations with the seller. Having a tank this size, would have actually caused my whole house to sink several mm's causing other structural issues which would have warranted a huge outlay to fix..tank is still for sale.

I have glass cut and sat in my garage ready for a 500g tank I was going to build out of plywood. I had a structural engineer in to look at weight loading on my floor, turns out over $3000 work is required to make the floor safe for a tank this size.

Point being, we can all dream of larger tanks, circumstances change and it is not always possible. It would be beneficial to consider long term health of your fish in the tank NOW not what if later...

An Oscar given the right environment for it, and fed well, would quite easily grow to a point it would be near maximum for a 55g tank in about 5-6 months

bettalover2033 03-25-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1024821)
Personally I would look at fish more appropriate for the tank size NOW, not in a year or so time.

There are many reasons we sometimes are unable to get larger tanks when we think we might.
I have an enormous basement and as a long term investment seriously considered purchasing a 5000g tank on sale from a reputable store here in Canada which is closing an outlet.
Now at $50,000 EVERYTHING included, including 2 white tip reef sharks, then it would have made an awesome addition. After seriously considering it, several conversations with the seller. Having a tank this size, would have actually caused my whole house to sink several mm's causing other structural issues which would have warranted a huge outlay to fix..tank is still for sale.

I have glass cut and sat in my garage ready for a 500g tank I was going to build out of plywood. I had a structural engineer in to look at weight loading on my floor, turns out over $3000 work is required to make the floor safe for a tank this size.

Point being, we can all dream of larger tanks, circumstances change and it is not always possible. It would be beneficial to consider long term health of your fish in the tank NOW not what if later...

An Oscar given the right environment for it, and fed well, would quite easily grow to a point it would be near maximum for a 55g tank in about 5-6 months

Yes all very true, but I'm going to be upgrading slowly. I was meaning that by a years time, I would most likely have a 200 gallon tank. Would be nice to have an Arowana, but im sure that needs an even bigger tank.:roll: decisions decisions..

I understand that its not as easy as we all hope it would be and am glad im planning ahead unlike what I usually do. When I didnt plan ahead all ended in disaster. I will look to get an oscar and about two other convict cichlids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay. I know that I am VERY wrong and should not be asking this questions because I should have known before purchasing, but please..\

Can anyone tell me what the Eel (in the above picture that I showed before) eats?

The same for the BGK (in the above picture I showed before.).

It is bad on my part and I should have known.

Philnominal 03-26-2012 01:10 AM

Eel and and knife would probably take frozen food. (knife is nocturnal so at night) you might have to feed the eel with a turkey baster. I believe that is a peacock eel and if i remember correctly they prefer to be kept in pairs.

Oscar will not give you very much time for the upgrade, they tend to grow an inch a month when young. Angels would grow much slower and dont need a tank bigger then 55 gallons, though im sure they (as most any fish would) would appreciate the more room a larger tank would provide. I agree with not putting them it in with the gourami.

Convict females have orange on their bellies. Males do not. Its the easy way to tell the sexes apart. If there is a con in your 55 then you should reconsider adding the angels or the oscar.

Arrow's minimal tank size would be a 8 ft long tank. Preferably larger. I think 2 ft wide min, but this isn't as wide as the fish is depending on the species. (I'm assuming you are talking about the silver)

(I have learned from experience) Good rule of thumb, problems can always happen. Plan for what you have now and then you can always add to it. Getting small fish of big species types and planning on getting a bigger tank may have a nice ring to it, but rarely is that easy.

Mixing african cichlids and SA/CA american Cichlids is a no no.

Byron 03-26-2012 11:30 AM

Several topics have come up in the last few posts, so I will take them one by one.

Quote:

So can a BGK and Oscar live together? If not, Can an Oscar and the Cichlasoma nigrofasciatum (Convict Cichild live together?)
No to both questions. I am not meaning to be facetious, but earlier I referred you to the profiles for information. All these fish are in the profiles, and it says quite clearly there why these combos cannot work. I won't waste space repeating everything.

Quote:

Yes all very true, but I'm going to be upgrading slowly. I was meaning that by a years time, I would most likely have a 200 gallon tank. Would be nice to have an Arowana, but im sure that needs an even bigger tank.:roll: decisions decisions..

I understand that its not as easy as we all hope it would be and am glad im planning ahead unlike what I usually do. When I didnt plan ahead all ended in disaster. I will look to get an Oscar and about two other convict cichlids.
On the last paragraph, this is not wise, as mentioned above. And on the larger tank(s)--and if you get all these fish we are talking more than one larger tank--I am with Tazman. I learned a maxim that I always follow and it has saved me much in grief and money: never buy a fish today if you do not today have a tank set up with the proper environment for the fish at maximum size. This is only fair to the fish, which is a living creature and deserves the best we can provide. Read the blue paragraph in my signature block.;-)

Quote:

Okay. I know that I am VERY wrong and should not be asking this questions because I should have known before purchasing, but please..\

Can anyone tell me what the Eel (in the above picture that I showed before) eats?

The same for the BGK (in the above picture I showed before.).

It is bad on my part and I should have known.
Here is the second maxim I follow with fish [I only have the two, so this is it:-)]. I never buy a fish I see until I know all that I can about it. I learned this the hard way. Bringing home fish that within a few weeks turned into problems and had to be destroyed to save my other fish [not all stores take back fish]. When I see something I don't know, I get the scientific name and research, then go back and buy it if I can accommodate it and provide what it needs. That blue paragraph applies here too.

The BGK food issue is covered in our profile. I am not certain of the eel species but we do have the Tire track Eel in our profiles so the food mentioned there will apply. And another member has responded in the interim.

Byron.

Geomancer 03-28-2012 09:15 AM

I'm going to have to say the same thing. Wait until you have the tank before buying the fish.

What's the rush? None of these fish are rare, the store will still have them when/if you eventually do have the tank to support them.

Putting fish in too small of a tank can also cause them major health issues when they don't have the room to reach full size and use their muscles properly, there really is no advantage.