Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Blue Ram (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/blue-ram-9699/)

Little-Fizz 12-01-2007 12:00 PM

Blue Ram

Alright I'm close to finishing the cycle of my tank and I'm starting to plan what to stock the tank with. A while ago someone recommended a blue ram. I really like them and would love a pair. I already have 4 swords moving into the tank with 1 snail and 3 shrimp. The swords pH levels are like 7-8 and the blue rams is 6. Does this really mean it's not ok? :cry: Has anyone ever kept a blue ram at a pH somewhere in the 7 range? Or would the swords be ok with a lower pH? Advice please! It's a 28 gallon tank. And on top of putting the rams in there I was thinking some tetras and maybe some cory cats if there will be space. I've read those are good tank mates for the rams. And I almost forgot to ask that if it was ok to keep the rams and swords in the same pH. Would they get along?? Thanks!

Lupin 12-01-2007 12:05 PM

Re: Blue Ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
Alright I'm close to finishing the cycle of my tank and I'm starting to plan what to stock the tank with. A while ago someone recommended a blue ram. I really like them and would love a pair. I already have 4 swords moving into the tank with 1 snail and 3 shrimp. The swords pH levels are like 7-8 and the blue rams is 6. Does this really mean it's not ok? :cry: Has anyone ever kept a blue ram at a pH somewhere in the 7 range? Or would the swords be ok with a lower pH? Advice please! It's a 28 gallon tank. And on top of putting the rams in there I was thinking some tetras and maybe some cory cats if there will be space. I've read those are good tank mates for the rams. And I almost forgot to ask that if it was ok to keep the rams and swords in the same pH. Would they get along?? Thanks!

My pH runs at 7.6 before and the rams are fine. They should adapt well provided you acclimate them properly. They should get along. What species is your shrimp? The ram might try eating it.

Little-Fizz 12-01-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
My pH runs at 7.6 before and the rams are fine. They should adapt well provided you acclimate them properly. They should get along. What species is your shrimp? The ram might try eating it.

Wow thanks for the quick reply. How do I acclimate them? Aw I was afraid of that, my shrimp are Caridina japonica. The females are quite large, possibly to large for the ram (a baby one) to try and suck it in. But the male is very tiny.

Lupin 12-01-2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
Wow thanks for the quick reply. How do I acclimate them? Aw I was afraid of that, my shrimp are Caridina japonica. The females are quite large, possibly to large for the ram (a baby one) to try and suck it in. But the male is very tiny.

Google 'Drip Acclimation'.:) The shrimp will probably be eaten when you least expect it.

Little-Fizz 12-01-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Google 'Drip Acclimation'.:) The shrimp will probably be eaten when you least expect it.

Cool, thank you! Bah it's sad for my shrimp but I'm planning on getting like 15 or so, and more hiding places + plants so maybe I'll have a bit of luck.

Holly 12-06-2007 12:36 PM

My pH from the tap is very low, right now it's still at 6. It'll go between 6 and 7.2 over the past few years and my swords were fine. I would meet them all at a happy medium