Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Help needed (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/help-needed-96973/)

Molinious 03-24-2012 10:34 PM

Help needed
 
No matter what kind of plants i put into my aquarium they dont last for more than a week, this is with the exception of grasses. This is not from them dying it is purely from the fish destroying them, they have a tendancy to strip the leaces off from the bottom up, all i end up with is stems!

Could anyone suggest plants with broad leaves that this will not happen to please

Fish include

Bettas, Rummynose tetras, Cherry Barbs, Rosy tetras, YoYos, Neon Tetras, Gold Pleco, CRS, Congo Tetras

Thankyou in advance

devario 03-25-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molinious (Post 1023787)
No matter what kind of plants i put into my aquarium they dont last for more than a week, this is with the exception of grasses. This is not from them dying it is purely from the fish destroying them, they have a tendancy to strip the leaces off from the bottom up, all i end up with is stems!

Could anyone suggest plants with broad leaves that this will not happen to please

Fish include

Bettas, Rummynose tetras, Cherry Barbs, Rosy tetras, YoYos, Neon Tetras, Gold Pleco, CRS, Congo Tetras

Thankyou in advance

Well, I suggest some species of gender Anubias, they are quite undestroyable

Marek

redchigh 03-25-2012 02:32 PM

I concur, anubias, java ferns, and maybe java mosses would be good...

Also try Prosperinica palustrus (it's grown emersed, so the emersed leaves will dissolve before new growth forms. Just leave it in.)

devario 03-25-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 1024411)
I concur, anubias, java ferns, and maybe java mosses would be good...

Also try Prosperinica palustrus (it's grown emersed, so the emersed leaves will dissolve before new growth forms. Just leave it in.)

I think the congo tetras are doing all the mess in your aquarium, since other species are quite
innocent. But who can blame them, they are so nice. :-) I want to try breeding them, mayby after
summer

Byron 03-25-2012 02:54 PM

Among the named fish, I would suspect the pleco first. You don't say what plant species, pleco are known to destroy especially soft leaf plants. Some loach species have been observed eating holes in swords. My congos have never touched plants, but again, we don't know which plant species you have/had.

But, if you have mainly stem plants, what you describe is more likely to be light related. And possibly nutrients. Stem plants are fast growing and thus need light (moderate to high) and fertilization to balance.

Hanky 03-25-2012 03:37 PM

I was wondering about your light as well, can you tell us what bulbs you have? Basically the plants that have been suggested are low light plants but depending on the light you have there may be more options.

Molinious 03-26-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1024442)
Among the named fish, I would suspect the pleco first. You don't say what plant species, pleco are known to destroy especially soft leaf plants. Some loach species have been observed eating holes in swords. My congos have never touched plants, but again, we don't know which plant species you have/had.

But, if you have mainly stem plants, what you describe is more likely to be light related. And possibly nutrients. Stem plants are fast growing and thus need light (moderate to high) and fertilization to balance.

The pleco is quite new and spends most of its time upside down at the top of the glass so it isnt him

Molinious 03-26-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1024442)
Among the named fish, I would suspect the pleco first. You don't say what plant species, pleco are known to destroy especially soft leaf plants. Some loach species have been observed eating holes in swords. My congos have never touched plants, but again, we don't know which plant species you have/had.

But, if you have mainly stem plants, what you describe is more likely to be light related. And possibly nutrients. Stem plants are fast growing and thus need light (moderate to high) and fertilization to balance.

There is high level light in the aquarium, plenty of nutrients as the old substrate was covered with new and they are planted into them, also use a liquid fertiliser every week when doing a water change.

TwinDad 03-26-2012 09:45 AM

I suspect the pleco might be searching the plants for food after dark. They might be trying to find algae on the leaves and harming the plants.

I have no experience with a YoYo. I think I have read others tell of loaches who search the ground for food also uprooting plants. But the damage you describe is either stem plants not getting enough light or a fish trying to eat it.

What light do you have over the tank?

JimBinSC 03-26-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1024442)
Some loach species have been observed eating holes in swords.

Just as I suspected!! I knew those near perfect semi-circles weren't from poor nutrients!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2