Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   convicts (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/convicts-96939/)

jollyboy23 03-24-2012 06:29 PM

convicts

just got two convicts to go with my firemouth one pink and one black both have alot of orange in them color thought it was kinda wierd because none of the other convicts at the pet store had that color is this a normal trait or is it rare that happens

Philnominal 03-24-2012 06:39 PM

Pretty sure orange especially on the belly just is a color marking for females. Not entirely sure though.

rrcoolj 03-24-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philnominal (Post 1023439)
Pretty sure orange especially on the belly just is a color marking for females. Not entirely sure though.

Exactly female cons always have orange bellies.

jollyboy23 03-24-2012 06:43 PM

ya i just found that out after looking at the fish profiles i was wondering this too they have been rubbing there sides against gravel and rocks that normal?

rrcoolj 03-25-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jollyboy23 (Post 1023443)
ya i just found that out after looking at the fish profiles i was wondering this too they have been rubbing there sides against gravel and rocks that normal?

They may want to spawn which isn't surprising these are very prolific fish. Females will often spawn without a male present.

jollyboy23 03-25-2012 11:22 PM

ive seen the firemouth and convict rubbin up on eachother a little bit the firemouth is a male and the pink convict female can they cross?

rrcoolj 03-26-2012 06:30 AM

Yes they can. If they do spawn I would dispose of the fry.

jollyboy23 03-26-2012 02:29 PM

k if i removed a female and added a male convict would the pair be good with the firemouth or would males be at eachothers throat i have a 30 gallon long tank 36 in

Byron 03-26-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jollyboy23 (Post 1025364)
k if i removed a female and added a male convict would the pair be good with the firemouth or would males be at eachothers throat i have a 30 gallon long tank 36 in

There is insufficient space in a 3-foot 30g tank for both species together. A pair of convict cichlid alone should manage though a bit more water volume would help; or no more than a pair of Firemouth, same thing. Check the profiles, click on the shaded name.

Tazman 03-26-2012 05:12 PM

A pair of convicts will be fine in a 30g tank, however even with dither fish they can be aggressive when spawning. Convicts work very well with Oscars in a large tank as they have the extra room to claim territory unused by the Oscar, in a 30g tank a pair of convicts will likely be tank bosses.

If keeping a firemouth alone as well, it can quite easily take over a tank as even by cichlid standards, it can still turn aggressive on the flick of a switch. They are very mild mannered though compared to some Rift Lake cichlids and if given the right environment will color up nicely and spawn easily.

My personal experience having kept and breed a large number of various cichlids, is that they should be kept really in a 55g tank or larger. The extra room of the larger tanks, allows specific territories to be established and keep each species happy, with smaller tanks, there is less "real estate" for them and this can not only lead to aggression and constant chases but also to water parameters issues quickly. Cichlids in general by their nature are messy, big eaters and as such produce a lot of waste, not only poop, but also urine which can lead to ammonia / nitrite spikes in smaller tanks.

Am not saying keeping these fish is a NO NO, just that it will require work and you will really have to keep on top of water parameters. If you cannot provide this for them, then a species more appropriate for your tank should be considered.