Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   55G Used Tank Moving Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/55g-used-tank-moving-question-9691/)

verbosity 12-01-2007 06:37 AM

55G Used Tank Moving Question

I am going to pick up a used 55 gallon tank today. Comes with everything from stand to fish.

I have to drive a little over 2 hours to get this. Should I just put the fish in plastic bags like the pet store? Or is this to long for them to stay in the bag?

I could bring a 5 gallon bucket lined with a garbage bag and put all the fish in that with it almost full of water. The garbage bag would be GLAD (from walmart the big box of em for kitchen trashcans)

There are 2 Bala Sharks, 2 Silvertip Shark, 1 Kissing Gourami, 1 algae eater, 2 neon tetras, 2 danios

This is the tank:
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3...1020071xg5.jpg

Mike 12-01-2007 06:52 AM

Nice find. I moved Thursday and had to transport my 55 gallon saltwater tank. We put each fish in its own bag like our LFS does. Our LFS actually gave us bags to use, so yours may do the same. Those bags may allow you to capture more air. I put some water in each bag, caught a fish with a net and put it in, held the ends of the bag wide open to get as much air in as possible, then quickly brought them together and twisted the bag to lock in as much air as I could.

Our ride wasn't 2 hours long but we had to break down the tank well before the movers arrived, so the fish were in their bags for several hours, maybe even pushing 4 in total. 8 of 9 of them were and are fine. One didn't make it. If you get a lot of air in their bags, don't jostle them too much, and keep their temperature regulated you should be fine. Might putting their bags in cooler help them retain their temperature?

You'd be surprised how many people suggested I simply blow "air" into the bags! Last I checked, human beings didn't exhale air. :P

There may be better ways of doing it, but this is how we did it and it worked. Well, mostly.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Mike :)

verbosity 12-01-2007 07:08 AM

Thanks Admin,

The worst part about this tank is it has the same ugly rock my 15 gallon has.
:( And as far as I can tell, no heater.

verbosity 12-02-2007 08:10 AM

Tank is here!! At it's new home. Fish where in bags for roughly 3 hours.

I kept the two sets of sharks in their own bags, and all the other fish in one bag. My lfs gave me medium sized bags.

I then took all of these bags and put them in a Sam's Club Freezer Bag.

The tank didn't have a heater in it. So after I filled it with tap (well water COLD!!)
I went ahead and put the fish bags in it. I took the heater out of my empty 15 gallon tank and one of the 300 watts from my 75 to get this tank warmed up.

When I finally released the fish the temperature was not in the "ok range" but I was afraid of them suffocating. So I chose the lesser of the two "weevils".

This morning the tank is in the Safety zone, and all fish appear to be doing great!

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8820/img2250rs5.jpg

This is not how the tank will stay. I just tried to match the setup previous owners had.. And I didn't really care about looks last night. Just safety..

SKAustin 12-02-2007 08:18 AM

Another option is, Walmart sells, in their sporting goods (fishing) section, a battery operated bubbler for bait buckets. it costs only about $4.00 and operates on both 1 or 2 D-cell batteries. It's a great investment and it'll run about 36-48 hours straight on 2 batteries. (for future reference)

okiemavis 12-03-2007 07:57 PM

I'd have to back up the above comment. I have the Min-O-Bucket. Kinda strange to buy fishing supplies, but it does the trick! It's insulated for all weather and has an aerator, so I can move my fish with peace of mind. Plus, it was $20. I'm sure there's a lot of aerated bait buckets on the market.

SKAustin 12-03-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiemavis
I'd have to back up the above comment. I have the Min-O-Bucket. Kinda strange to buy fishing supplies, but it does the trick! It's insulated for all weather and has an aerator, so I can move my fish with peace of mind. Plus, it was $20. I'm sure there's a lot of aerated bait buckets on the market.

Just goes to show you, sometimes it pays to think outside the box (tank). Literally. :D

verbosity 12-04-2007 07:04 AM

It's been several days, all fish are fine.

verbosity 12-06-2007 07:50 AM

I have been fixing up a canister filter for this tank.

Had enough parts for it to run.. But didn't have the piece to go over the intake.. So I covered it with a fish net.

This morning I awoke to see my kissing gourami giving his last kiss. :(

I like him too. I've turned the filter off until I get that last piece.