Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   tank mate suggestions??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/tank-mate-suggestions-96873/)

sonflowerjoela 03-23-2012 08:22 PM

tank mate suggestions???

water parameters are:
Ph 7.6 tap, 7.6 tank, high range 7.4 tank
Nitrates 40 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
4 - 8 dGH 70 - 140 ppm So in light of my water parameters, consistent for past 2 weekes what would my best choices for fish be?
I want peaceful fish with no fighting and tormenting each other.
I currently have 6 rummy nose tetra and 1 pair of turquoise rainbows
also 2 clown loach
Also want to add that this is an established tank it has had some fish in it the past 12 years.
So I don't have a cycling issue. Just trying to add slowly to the tank to avoid in danger to fish.
Also have hundreds of Malaysian snails.
Open to any and all suggestions.

thekoimaiden 03-23-2012 09:29 PM

In your range you've got a lot of option with the tetras, corydoras, and loaches. Oto catfish are also an option if your tank is planted and you want "algae control." Just how large is your tank? Clown loaches do best in groups of 5 or more, so if the tank is large enough (125+ gal) to keep them I would certainly add to that group. I would also add more rummynose as they look best in large (12+) groups. Really with most tetra the grouping rule is the most your tank can hold.

50galkid 03-23-2012 09:43 PM

Ahh I remember my first tank was that size, now I have over 15 59gal tanks!
I would recomend these tank mates:
3 black neon tetras
3 neon tetras
1 twig catfish(for algae controll)
1 Porthole catfish(Eats scrap food)

Hope it :-D Check out my fish assistance website yourfishblog - Home page for tools apps and articles

sonflowerjoela 03-24-2012 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1022760)
In your range you've got a lot of option with the tetras, corydoras, and loaches. Oto catfish are also an option if your tank is planted and you want "algae control." Just how large is your tank? Clown loaches do best in groups of 5 or more, so if the tank is large enough (125+ gal) to keep them I would certainly add to that group. I would also add more rummynose as they look best in large (12+) groups. Really with most tetra the grouping rule is the most your tank can hold.

Oh I meant to put that it was a 72 gallon bow front tank. I have artificial plants and real wood. I tried to do planted tank once and didn't work out. I may try again someday from a thread on here somewhere where a guy did it. Thank you for suggestions. I'm thinking about taking clown loaches back as I did not realize they got so big and needed to be kept in group of 5 or 6 found this out from tropical fish profiles and Byron.I will add to the rummy school for sure. I want cory for sure not sure if one particular one survives better. I have always had trouble keeping them alive.

sonflowerjoela 03-24-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50galkid (Post 1022775)
Ahh I remember my first tank was that size, now I have over 15 59gal tanks!
I would recomend these tank mates:
3 black neon tetras
3 neon tetras
1 twig catfish(for algae controll)
1 Porthole catfish(Eats scrap food)

Hope it :-D Check out my fish assistance website yourfishblog - Home page for tools apps and articles

Thank you! I wanted some black neon anyway:-). I just love that twig catfish. Hope my lfs can get this one or has some. I will have to search for porthole catfish.
You have a lot of tanks! Are you breeding fish or just that addicted? :-);-)
Going to check your blog.

sonflowerjoela 03-24-2012 04:14 AM

Love the porthole catfish! So beautiful. Do you buy fish online or lfs?

50galkid 03-24-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonflowerjoela (Post 1022963)
Love the porthole catfish! So beautiful. Do you buy fish online or lfs?

I got mine from Ebay xD nah just kidding I got mine from a local Big als but there are many websites that sell black neons porthole and twig catfish so you should search:-)

50galkid 03-24-2012 12:29 PM

<-------------- you see that dragon goby? funny thing is you can put anything with it as it is a community fish it can live in 50gal+ all you need is aquarium salt to keep him alive he has small eyes so all he can see is food and what is in front of him. The way they eat in the wild is only the slightest carnivorous as they scoop mud and an bugs in it they swallow whole then spit the mud back so he would be a great tank mate that does NOT need a school.

sonflowerjoela 03-24-2012 01:46 PM

Just got back from LFS and they didn't have anything you suggested. I did get another pair of rainbows and 2 redline sharks. The LFS has a big tank not sure what size but BIG and it has rainbows all kinds and the redline sharks. Some Congo Tetras, algae eaters, Rams, Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, it is such a lovely tank.
I hope all of mine will get a long that well. I'm going to add to them slowly.:-)

sonflowerjoela 03-24-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50galkid (Post 1023185)
<-------------- you see that dragon goby? funny thing is you can put anything with it as it is a community fish it can live in 50gal+ all you need is aquarium salt to keep him alive he has small eyes so all he can see is food and what is in front of him. The way they eat in the wild is only the slightest carnivorous as they scoop mud and an bugs in it they swallow whole then spit the mud back so he would be a great tank mate that does NOT need a school.

He is really cool! I looked at something that looks similar at LFS. I wondered about having something like that in community tank. How long have you had him?