Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Mollys guppys keep dieing (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/mollys-guppys-keep-dieing-96769/)

bozzzz 03-22-2012 12:44 PM

Mollys guppys keep dieing

The water if fine have a good water kit
Mollys lasted about 6 weeks one left out of 4
Guppys was fine then one after another one died had about 9 now got 5
Now they keep swimming in the filter strem for a few days then died ?????
Got a lot of jave fern in the tank but also got a air block ???/
The one that died seem to have ragged tails |?????

Please help

yyankeeyankeefan 03-22-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozzzz (Post 1021272)
The water if fine have a good water kit
Mollys lasted about 6 weeks one left out of 4
Guppys was fine then one after another one died had about 9 now got 5
Now they keep swimming in the filter strem for a few days then died ?????
Got a lot of jave fern in the tank but also got a air block ???/
The one that died seem to have ragged tails |?????

Please help

are you noticing any signs of illness in them?

bozzzz 03-22-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyankeeyankeefan (Post 1021298)
are you noticing any signs of illness in them?

No mate they all seem fine untill one goes off and stays in the strem ??

Byron 03-22-2012 01:55 PM

We don't know what is meant by water is fine, so could you give some data please? Hardness and pH are important for livebearers; you can find the GH from your water supply people, and you should have a pH test kit. Then, have you tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

How long has this tank been running? From the symptoms I am thinking possibly high ammonia or nitrite, due to cycling; or low hardness and pH. Frayed fins can result from this, and remaining in the filter stream just prior to death suggests the fish is trying to get fresh water to avoid something toxic.

Byron.

bozzzz 03-22-2012 02:38 PM

PH 7.6
Am 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 15
Ive done 1 water changes since then and just did another water change
Tank has been going for about 11 weeks
Cheers for your help mate

Byron 03-22-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozzzz (Post 1021355)
PH 7.6
Am 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 15
Ive done 1 water changes since then and just did another water change
Tank has been going for about 11 weeks
Cheers for your help mate

I don't see anything there. I did forget to ask the tank size. And normally how often are water changes done, and how much water? What water conditioner? And are any other substances going in the tank water besides the conditioner?

bozzzz 03-22-2012 04:10 PM

The tank is 100 L
We put tap safe in water and thats it WC about every 2 weeks with about 20 litres
Water looks great and clear thanks for the info but should i do more changes if this carrys on mate

Byron 03-22-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozzzz (Post 1021444)
The tank is 100 L
We put tap safe in water and thats it WC about every 2 weeks with about 20 litres
Water looks great and clear thanks for the info but should i do more changes if this carrys on mate

A 100 litre tank is equivalent to around 26 gallons. Initially there were 4 molly and 9 guppy. The only thing i can see from all the data is still the effect of the initial cycling. The tank would only start to cycle when the fish went in, and this probably affected them. Molly as I mentioned are particularly sensitive to any form of nitrogen (ammonia, nitrite, even nitrate). Even though fish seem to survive the cycling, it can take a toll and weakens them considerably.

Water changes should be every week, without fail, and I would change about 1/3 of the tank. If the tap water hardness and pH is close to the aquarium's, this will be fine. Vacuum the substrate during each water change (assuming you don't have live plants, if yes, then you can leave the substrate).

yyankeeyankeefan 03-22-2012 08:32 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

yyankeeyankeefan 03-22-2012 08:33 PM

If your tank is still doing its cycle I would do water changes every other day. To prevent poisoning from the cycle.
Posted via Mobile Device