Tropical Fish Keeping banner

failed heater, again

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  fish monger 
#1 ·
AGAIN the heater has failed in my 110g. Im about to blow a fuse. The first one lasted years, I think it was a jager. And it was used. Then it failed. Replaced it with a cheap clamp on, which failed within a year. Got another used jager (from the same guy as the first) and IT failed. Got a nice jager 200 watt (jager says its good for 106 gallons, and was accurate at that) about 6 months ago and now ITS failed. Got a sketchy old used jager in there now keeping the peace until I see if jager is going to replace the NEW heater.

I should mention I dont use 2nd heaters in that room because the ambient temp is only about 70F. What heaters do you guys use that just dont fail?

#2 ·
I don't have too much experience, but I haven't been hit with such a streak as you have =/

Almost all of my heaters have been the cheapos that come with the tank in the first place. One cracked because I forgot to unplug it during a water change, I replaced it with the petsmart brand one. With the two tanks I had for 5 years non failed (aside from my own stupid mistake).

Since then I've moved and have all new tanks... the one that came with my 20g didn't really work well out of the box so I replaced it with an Aquatop. The 10g still has the original. But it has only been 3 months so not really enough to comment.

Reading reviews for my 125g I'm setting up, the Aqueon Pro line has by far the best reviews. Perhaps consider having two half sized heaters (2x 100W) instead of a single large one. They'll work less often, and if one does fail (again) it lowers the risk of overheating the entire tank, or if it fails 'off' the second heater can hopefully keep it going until you get a replacement.

#3 ·
I have a 150W Aqueon Pro and it's been solid for the 1 year I had it. It replaced a defective marineland heater.

I know you said you only have one heater as the room is 70, but I would consider getting two 150W or 100W as I think the heater is burning out as it is struggling to keep up. Does that have a "activity" light on the heater to see how often it is heating?

#6 ·
yeah its got a light, but didnt come on all that often. Im currently using the same old green jager heater, it seems to be working fine for now. If it stays solid ill keep it in and just add another heater.

the aqueon pros were almost 60 bucks locally for a 200 watter, I looked last night. holy jeebus. The only other choice was a regular aqueon, or petco brand, oh oh or the high tech super reliable elite clamp on job. I gave up the hunt to find that eheim had emailed me back and seem to have no problem swapping out the heater, as it wasnt 3 years old yet. SO we will see what happens, so far jager looks like theyre going to make good :)

#9 ·
Amazon.com is you're friend ;)

Aqueon Pro 200W = $27.77
Aqueon Pro 100W = $25.34

Either option can give you free shipping (if you don't mind waiting 1-2 weeks for delivery).

250W x 2 is my fallback for my 125g. I have two 300W Aquatop ones on back order. If they are not in stock by the time my carpet gets replaced and I set the tank up I'll go with the Aquon's.

#10 ·
:lol: Is this the part where I remind the addict to avoid his poison? :lol:

It was interesting that the light was hardly ever on, as I think 200W is a bit small for the only unit in a 110g. But I'm not an expert, just remember reading that two is better than one in regards to overloading the unit and having a backup in case of failure.

The only issue I had was a marineland burnout, and a recalled marineland that I took advantage of a refund when I learned about the aqueon pro. I like the non glass outer casing.

Either way good luck.

#11 ·
yeah its a little small, but ive always been able to get away with underheating my bigger tanks. The room stays a rock solid 70-72 degrees, as its below grade, and the 110g and 55g dont bleed much heat. BUT, now ill be going to 2 200 watters this time.

#12 ·
Update

as I said, I emailed eheim about the issue. They requested proof of purchase, which was emailed to them. Many days passed, no reply. So I emailed them to see if the proof of purchase was acceptable and to check on the replacement's status, still no reply. Its been almost 3 weeks that I have been limping along using an old green jager heater that is stuck ON. I unplug it for a couple hours a day and the temp has been holding a pretty steady 80-81 degrees. But still its a hassle. 3 weeks since my warrantied heater failed and still no replacement from them...

I think my days of being an eheim fan may be drawing to a close, sadly :-( I guess Ill be coughing up the bucks for a fluval M or aqueon pro.

#13 ·
i always use visatherm heaters. i have had two tanks for for prolly 14 years and ive prolly replaced them twice. honestly both times i replaced them they were still working but i saw moisture in the heater so i replaced them for good measure. i would say th current ones i have are over 8 years old .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.