Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   need help with my Dads aquarium. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-help-my-dads-aquarium-96738/)

Chris7 03-21-2012 11:41 PM

need help with my Dads aquarium.

I've been on this site for a little while now, and got lots of help getting my tank cycled and established. Well now I need a bit of help with my dads tank, it's been running since about the end of January. He had a lot of trouble with very high nitrites not to long ago but I helped him get thoughs down to 0. But but in the last 10 days or so he's lost 3 fish, and the rest seem very "slow" and not moving around much just hiding at the back? I keep telling him get a thermometer for your water temp, he has one of thoughs heaters that aren't adjustable. It's suppose lto stay at about. 75F ,does water temp sound like a possible cause?
If your wondering why he doesn't ask himself, he's kind of "old school".

10 gallon
3 swordtails
2 guppys
1 platy
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates?
Water temp?
Posted via Mobile Device

dieseldoc 03-22-2012 12:13 AM

How did you go about lowering the nitrites? By water changes or chemical? Also a thermometer would be a big help. Although the heater is manufactured to keep the water temp at a consistant 75 degrees that doesn't mean it is actually doing its job. It could be low or it could be high. So I would definately invest in a thermometer. What is the Ph of the tank and the ph level could be way off for the fish you are keeping. I would pick up a liquid water test kit so we can see what exactly your water parameters are. API make a good one and seems to be the standard on this forum. Once the water parameters are known we can figure out whats up with the fish.

Chris7 03-22-2012 01:39 AM

He lowered the Nitrite levels by water changes, and he only has a nitite test kit. But I have the Nitrite,ammonia, and pH test kits, and test his water when I get over there(He lives on the other side of the city). I wanted him to get the other liquid test kits but his budget is limited, I'll try to get there tomorrow or Fri. and test his water. I know I should have waited to get all the parameters first before posting but I don't want anymore of his fish to die.:-(

Romad 03-22-2012 05:22 AM

Does he use a good water conditioner like Prime when he adds new water to the tank?

And if there are no live plants in the tank a small stone might be a good idea or making sure the filter aerates the water enough to oxygenate.

Chris7 03-22-2012 01:35 PM

I got him to start using Prime the first week he started cycling his tank. I'll get back to you's once I get all the water parameters.