Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What First.... Live Plants Or Fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-first-live-plants-fish-96716/)

smellie92 03-21-2012 06:47 PM

What First.... Live Plants Or Fish?

Hi, about a week ago i set up a new tank for my fish, they are currently in a smaller tank and we are moving them to our new bigger tank. I just wanted to know what i need to add first, the live plants or the fish? as the local fish shop said to not add the plants until we have added the fish, just wondered what everyone elses thoughts were?

Cheers :-)

Philnominal 03-21-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smellie92 (Post 1020725)
Hi, about a week ago i set up a new tank for my fish, they are currently in a smaller tank and we are moving them to our new bigger tank. I just wanted to know what i need to add first, the live plants or the fish? as the local fish shop said to not add the plants until we have added the fish, just wondered what everyone elses thoughts were?

Cheers :-)

plants will help with the cycling process and it would stress fish just being added to an aquarium to have someone sticking their arms in there to do aquascaping. I would say plants first, assuming it wont take down the level of biological filtration in your smaller tank to a point where it cannot keep up with the fish should you put the plants in several days before adding the fish to the tank.

smellie92 03-21-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philnominal (Post 1020736)
plants will help with the cycling process and it would stress fish just being added to an aquarium to have someone sticking their arms in there to do aquascaping. I would say plants first, assuming it wont take down the level of biological filtration in your smaller tank to a point where it cannot keep up with the fish should you put the plants in several days before adding the fish to the tank.

cheers for your quick response. the live plants would be brand new from the LFS as the smaller tank only has the plastic plants in. Would it still be add the live plants first?

Philnominal 03-21-2012 07:21 PM

if you are talking about adding live plants to the larger tank first? Yes. They will speed up the cycle process help the biological filtration, especially when you first add the fish.

smellie92 03-21-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philnominal (Post 1020767)
if you are talking about adding live plants to the larger tank first? Yes. They will speed up the cycle process help the biological filtration, especially when you first add the fish.

yeah, adding the live plants to the larger tank before adding the fish. how many days before should i add the plants before adding the fish?

Philnominal 03-21-2012 07:33 PM

I have done it same day several times. Not entirely sure if there is much of a difference in waiting. Maybe another member will have a better idea.

Byron 03-21-2012 08:03 PM

Definitely plant the tank at the start. Get everything (filter, heater) going with the plants. If all is well, you can start adding some fish. But go slow.

If some of the plants are fast growing, such as stem plants, or better yet, floating, they will easily assimilate the ammonia from the fish. I don't know the tank size, or intended fish, or intended plants...some fish are better added to an established tank. If you can provide this data, I might have further suggestions.

But the bottom line is that sufficient fast-growing live plants and a few fish will allow you to go from day one with no harm to the fish.

Byron.

dieseldoc 03-21-2012 11:18 PM

In my 65 gallon hex I added a majority of the plants first and them establish themselves then added the fish. And have added more plants since then with no addition of more fish. Now that my tank is completely planted and growing I will now work on the stocking of this tank.

Adamson 03-21-2012 11:33 PM

I believe a fast ammonia spike is the key to a good and more speedy cycle. So I could personally add the plants first, all things being equal.

AbbeysDad 03-22-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamson (Post 1021026)
I believe a fast ammonia spike is the key to a good and more speedy cycle. So I could personally add the plants first, all things being equal.

With plants there will most likely never be an (unwanted) ammonia spike.