Tropical Fish Keeping banner

New tank

5K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  DRAGON 
#1 ·
IVE JUST BOUGHT A JEWEL VISION 180L , AND PLANTED IT WITH ABOUT 8 PLANTS WITH THE FERTILASER BALLS IN THEIR ROOTS , I ALSO PUT FRIENDLY BACTERIA IN THERE TOO ... IT WAS DONE 4 DAYS AGO ... SO HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT BEFORE I POP SOME DANIOS IN THERE AND HOW MANY SHOULD I START WITH ( AS I WANT TO PUT THE ONES FROM MY COLD TANK IN THERE ) WATER IN NEW TANL IS 23 DEG C
THANKS DRAGON:lol:

#2 ·
Cool you should probably wait until your cycle is complete until you add any fish. And i wouldnt add fish directly from cold to warm waters. I'll let someone else ask why the water is cold. Your cycle will be done in around 1-4 weeks.

#3 ·
cool you should probably wait until your cycle is complete until you add any fish. And i wouldnt add fish directly from cold to warm waters. I'll let someone else ask why the water is cold. Your cycle will be done in around 1-4 weeks.

thanks , the others are in a cold water danio tank .. I was gonna pop them in the new tropical one , but if ya think they wouldnt like it i wont :)

#4 ·
You could add your Danios to the new tank but you would have to slowly bring the temp up for them by a degree or two at a time. Otherwise, you'd probably shock them.

How many danios would you be adding to the new tank? When you do start adding them, only add a few at a time and let your beneficial bacteria catch up to the new load before adding the next few. You should test the water constantly while your adding fish so you can make sure you don't have an ammonia spike.

#6 ·
First, on the temperature. Going from cool to slightly warmer is much less of a problem than the reverse. But, too great a temp variation can shock as someone mentioned. Just how different are the two temperatures?

On the cycling/adding the danio, aside from the temp issue, you could add them at once, for 3 reasons. First, a 180 liter/50g tank has more volume so ammonia will dissipate into the water more. Second, you mention live plants. If these are reasonably fast growing, or include some floating plants, they will easily assimilate the ammonia produced by a few danio. With the live plants you should not be able to detect any ammonia or nitrite; test to be sure, but they should remain zero. And third, crashing around in the tank with a net is stressful to any fish, so grabbing them all at once is always better than several attempts when this is not going to cause issues.

Byron.

#7 ·
I like to err on the side of caution because I learned my lesson the hard way. I added a school of fish to my very understocked 75 gallon once and had an ammonia spike 3 or 4 days later that killed one of my favorite rainbow fish. It never dawned on me that it could happen because of the overfiltered, understocked factor of the tank to start with.

I think the live plants go a long way to help in preventing a spike like this and at the time my tank was still half silk, half planted but no substantial plant life to speak of.

#8 ·
That is wise Romad, there are many factors at work in an aquarium. I think we are on safe ground this time, provided the plants are fast growing.

#9 ·
That is wise Romad, there are many factors at work in an aquarium. I think we are on safe ground this time, provided the plants are fast growing.

OH COOL , i intend on setting myy old tanl up ( after i move it from my old house ) next to the tropical tank and then thought id stick my old heater in there and slowly ove a coule of weeeks bring the temperture up to 25 deg to match the tropical tank , then put them in together that will make it nearly 4 weeks of non fish cycle ...

what ya think ??

#14 ·
can Crossocheilus siamensis & Otocinclus sp. LIVE in the same tank ?
180L JEWEL VISION WITH LIVE PLANTS
I'm assuming you mean the Siamese Algae Eater which is probably Crossocheilus langei, the confusion over the names is explained in our profile. Should be OK together, just remember the SAE gets 6 inches.

#21 ·
If you only have chlorine in your tap water, then it will have dissipated out by now. However, many municipalities are also using chloramine which does not out-gas so if it is present you need a water conditioner than detoxifies chlorine and chloramine.

If you change or add any water, regardless of fish, from now on use a conditioner. Chlorine (and chloramine obviously) will kill any bacteria now established, and there is bound to be some.

#24 ·
Im gonna put fish in my new jewel vision 180 l tank tonight
the amonia spike is ove and so is the nitrie and i changes 50 l of water last night ... Whats the deal with peat moss .. I read tetras like it ??
Peat moss is placed in the filter (in a mesh bag) and it adds tannins to the water which will increase acidity and thus lower the pH. This is often used to create "blackwater." As many (but not all) tetra come from such water, this is one way to meintain them and usually will encourage them to spawn. Some use this for discus and other similar fish. The peat obviously wears off, depending upon the initial hardness and pH of the water, as it becomes exhausted. It has to be replaced regularly. It also tends to stain the water a bit, yellowish/brownish, much like wood initially does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.