Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Help! spotted molly on her side and bloated (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/help-spotted-molly-her-side-bloated-96696/)

coding78 03-21-2012 03:53 PM

Help! spotted molly on her side and bloated

Ok I have a molly whom we just learned had two babies (we found the babies yesterday evening swimming and eating) but got home this afternoon and the molly is completely bloated on her side at the top of the tank.. It looks like something is trying to emerge from where the babies should come.. flesh color.. I usually only feed them once a day but feed them extra time this morning (maybe a little too much) because she was acting like she was starving yesterday and I wanted the babies to live!

The silver molly we purchased with her is staying pretty close to her. and if we get to close of course she swims off, I have now put a towel over the tank to keep the stress down for her and temptation down for us.

Last time I looked and she swam erratically down a white thing came off her about the size of a pencil tip. Not sure if she is sick, aborting, overfeed, having more babies!! If anyone has any advice please let me know.. I just put 4 tbsp of salt into our 50 gal tank (just now found out about salt in a fresh water tank )

Any help or advice??

GwenInNM 03-23-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coding78 (Post 1020563)
Ok I have a molly whom we just learned had two babies (we found the babies yesterday evening swimming and eating) but got home this afternoon and the molly is completely bloated on her side at the top of the tank.. It looks like something is trying to emerge from where the babies should come.. flesh color.. I usually only feed them once a day but feed them extra time this morning (maybe a little too much) because she was acting like she was starving yesterday and I wanted the babies to live!

The silver molly we purchased with her is staying pretty close to her. and if we get to close of course she swims off, I have now put a towel over the tank to keep the stress down for her and temptation down for us.

Last time I looked and she swam erratically down a white thing came off her about the size of a pencil tip. Not sure if she is sick, aborting, overfeed, having more babies!! If anyone has any advice please let me know.. I just put 4 tbsp of salt into our 50 gal tank (just now found out about salt in a fresh water tank )

Any help or advice??

I will probably be no help, because I know nothing about live bearers. I would increase the salt to a tsp per gallon, so you can add much more. I would imagine it is possible she is having problems getting the rest of the fry out, and salt may help this.

Best of luck

Gwen