Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Roseline Barbs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/roseline-barbs-96658/)

FWPipers 03-20-2012 10:54 PM

Roseline Barbs

Hello ! I have a large school of young Roseline Barbs , aka Roseline Sharks, I was curious if these eat rhyzome plants such as Anubias , Jave Fern , etc etc .... I was told by someone that his ate stem plants like swords , etc .... I do feed them NLS , Omega One flakes , Brine Shrimp/Earthworm Flakes and Spirulina Flakes. If these do end up eating my beautiful plants , I will be frying them up and dippin them in cocktail sauce.

FWPipers 03-20-2012 11:31 PM

ALSO , I keep my roseline barbs in a strong current with lots of oxygen , anyone have experience with keeping them in calm waters and strong current waters ..... perhaps seen the differences in the fish's reaction, personality , and preference ?

Byron 03-21-2012 06:09 PM

The answer to your first post is contained in our profile, click on the shaded name Puntius denisonii for the profile. Under the diet section it mentions feeding some fresh veggies to avoid plant nibbling. But beyond that, most fish that eat plants prefer tender ones, like stem plants in particular.

On the second post question, as noted in the Origin section of the profile, this fish naturally comes from flowing streams and needs the current and lower temperatures to be healthy. Tankmates (if any) must obviously share such needs.

Byron.

Fishguy2727 03-21-2012 08:38 PM

I have had them in warm, calmer tanks and they do VERY well.

I would cut back the food to just the NLS. I know everyone is trained to obsess over variety, but the real goal is complete and balanced nutrition, not eighty different foods. NLS provides complete and balanced nutrition on its own and most people see an improvement when they cut out all other foods. If you try this and don't see this improvement that is fine, keep up the variety. But if you haven't tried feeding NLS exclusively for a few straight months I highly suggest you try it.

On NLS exclusively they do not bother the plants in the display tank at the fish shop I work at.

FWPipers 03-21-2012 10:30 PM

Hey thanks for the replies !!!
Byron , i've read alot of online profiles on these guys but as we all know, most online info is to be taken with a grain of salt , a few good tips and information and mostly bad / poor info. I know that testimonies and personal experience from others is far more precious than any good book.
Fishguy , I've kept herptiles all my life and fish off and on throughout my life. Between working with animals academically and as a hobbyist , I'm all about variety. NLS is great food but it's like feeding them processed fast food everyday if I were to cut back and use NLS only. There are even times when I will fast them for a day maybe even two. Feeding them a variety has always worked for me no matter what type of animal it is.

Byron 03-22-2012 11:05 AM

Byron , i've read alot of online profiles on these guys but as we all know, most online info is to be taken with a grain of salt , a few good tips and information and mostly bad / poor info. I know that testimonies and personal experience from others is far more precious than any good book.

The degree of reliability depends upon who is writing/giving the information.

One thing cannot be disputed, and this is that the best guide to keeping fish healthy is to replicate their environment. If nature programmed this or that species to live in fast-flowing water, it follows that the fish will likely be in the best condition if those conditions are replicated within reason.

A Betta will live for years in a glass jar. But that doesn't mean it is the best environment. I believe in working with nature, not against her.

Fishguy2727 03-24-2012 10:04 PM

Have you tried feeding NLS exclusively? We can debate all day long about the theoretical benefits of variety, ideas about prepared foods, etc. But if you try feeding NLS exclusively for a few months the results speak for themselves.

FWPipers 03-24-2012 11:20 PM

Hi yes i have fed exclusivly NLS back when I only kept cichlids . I did see some great color but I'll stick with my variety , if by some really bizarre chance that variety IS a waste of my time , then I guess I've wasted my time . I certianly know for sure it doesn't hurt it !!!! My fish husbandry has worked for me since I've been keeping fish for a whoppin two years !!! I guess if it ain't broke , why fix it ??? Ciao !