Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Does this platy look pregnant? (pictures) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/does-platy-look-pregnant-pictures-96608/)

Frostycat2012 03-20-2012 05:44 PM

Does this platy look pregnant? (pictures)

4 Attachment(s)
I just bought 2 Mickey Mouse Platy since I already have one other. The orange/white-ish one is Big Mama and I am pretty sure she's pregnant and wanted a second opinion since I'm new to fish. Also I bought a breeding net for when she starts to give birth, I am not putting her in it until she is literally having the babies and taking her out after she's done. If she does look pregnant how far along does she look? She's been staying low in the tank by the plants lately. Thanks!

dfish23 03-21-2012 12:52 AM

Shes defiantly pregnant and what Ive seen from my platies is their stomachs go from a round shape to a somewhat squared shape when they are close to giving birth kinda like this http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Cyprinido...th%20platy.JPG

1077 03-21-2012 01:03 AM

If the fish has been exposed to males, then they are inherently pregnant .
Would NOT wait until fish was further along to move her, for moving fishes which are close to birthing to breeder net,box,tank,will often times result in aborted births ,or still born/dead fish.

Frostycat2012 03-21-2012 12:08 PM

Update: She' s definitely pregnant, I can see the babies eyes now

Last night I looked at her and can now se the babies eyes in hr belly towards the back. How long from when you can see the eyes is she close to giving birth?
And also so if I should put her in her breeding net should I do that now or is that just going to stress her out and cause her to abort or absorb the babies?

Termato 03-21-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostycat2012 (Post 1020342)
Last night I looked at her and can now se the babies eyes in hr belly towards the back. How long from when you can see the eyes is she close to giving birth?
And also so if I should put her in her breeding net should I do that now or is that just going to stress her out and cause her to abort or absorb the babies?

If you can see their eyes...I would say quite close. They must be quite developed because the eyes are one of the last to come in.

She cannot absorb if she is too far into the pregnancy, it would kill her.

Frostycat2012 03-21-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Termato (Post 1020343)
If you can see their eyes...I would say quite close. They must be quite developed because the eyes are one of the last to come in.

She cannot absorb if she is too far into the pregnancy, it would kill her.

She also looks pretty squared right now. Should I put her in the breeding net(it goes in the aquarium and has fake plants in it) or should I just let her give birth in the aquarium and try to catch the babies?

She is also chasing the other two platies around right now.

Termato 03-21-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostycat2012 (Post 1020349)
She also looks pretty squared right now. Should I put her in the breeding net(it goes in the aquarium and has fake plants in it) or should I just let her give birth in the aquarium and try to catch the babies?

If you can put her in the net without stressing too much do so. Although you don't want to stress the mother too much right now as you know.

I mean there really is no other way to do it without stressing the fish. If you are going to net her do it now rather than later.

She might be in the net for a while because it could be a while before she gives birth (hours...days)...if you take a picture of the fish it will help everyone identify how far along she is.

Also is this a first pregnancy for this fish right?

Trying to catch the babies will take a while and will stress the fish more. You might have a better shot with the mother...I dunno....

Frostycat2012 03-21-2012 12:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Termato (Post 1020354)
If you can put her in the net without stressing too much do so. Although you don't want to stress the mother too much right now as you know.

I mean there really is no other way to do it without stressing the fish. If you are going to net her do it now rather than later.

She might be in the net for a while because it could be a while before she gives birth (hours...days)...if you take a picture of the fish it will help everyone identify how far along she is.

Also is this a first pregnancy for this fish right?

Trying to catch the babies will take a while and will stress the fish more. You might have a better shot with the mother...I dunno....

Sorry it's a bit hard to see the eyes in the pictures but here's some new pictures I just took of her.

I have no idea what pregnancy for her this is because I just got her from a pet shop a few days ago.

Frostycat2012 03-22-2012 11:31 PM

*Update*

She is definitely pregnant and she is HUGE now. You can see the little eyes in her belly and she has been nipping at the other two platies when they get near her. She also is randomly twitchingshaking her body from left to right. I ended up buying some more live plants to put in the aquarium so the babies can hide and not get eaten. She looks really squared I think it feels like it's taking forever, because I'm so excited!! How long can platies be in labor for? :-D