Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Peaceful Planted Community (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/peaceful-planted-community-96515/)

Exterrestrial 03-19-2012 06:05 PM

Peaceful Planted Community

55g tank,(I think.. It's 4ft X 1 1/2ft X 2ft) looking for a rather peaceful, colorful, setup.

It's heavily planted, has lots of rocks and driftwood. I want everything peaceful. Harmony. (:

Pearl Gouramis (A must, definitely want)

Cories

Otos

Upside Down Capfish

Cherry Barbs

Celestial Pearl Danios (I know they can be feisty, but I love love love these fish. Should I forget about em?)

Kuhli Loaches

Ramshorn Snails.

And that's all. What does everyone think? I'm open to all opinions & changes.

thekoimaiden 03-19-2012 10:15 PM

It sounds like a pretty good stocking list, but I would keep the danio off the list as they will upset the gourami and do best in cooler temps. Just get another aquarium and save it all for them. The bottom also seems like it might be a bit crowded with 4 species of substrate fish all of which need to be in groups. I would pick your favorite 2 and go with them. This will also free up space to have another school of fish in the middle of the water column.

I also encourage you to look through our Fish Profiles (2nd tab under logo) to double check compatibility and grouping issues as a lot of those fish will need to be in schools.

Exterrestrial 03-20-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1018755)
It sounds like a pretty good stocking list, but I would keep the danio off the list as they will upset the gourami and do best in cooler temps. Just get another aquarium and save it all for them. The bottom also seems like it might be a bit crowded with 4 species of substrate fish all of which need to be in groups. I would pick your favorite 2 and go with them. This will also free up space to have another school of fish in the middle of the water column.

I also encourage you to look through our Fish Profiles (2nd tab under logo) to double check compatibility and grouping issues as a lot of those fish will need to be in schools.

Thank you. Yes, after some more research, I'm not getting the danios.

I'll get Corys and loaches.

And another school- What would you pick? I was thinking of tetras, but I know they're usually fin nippers.
Could I buy a couple Platys?

thekoimaiden 03-20-2012 01:48 PM

I love loaches ^-^ Good pick ;) Cories are adorable, too.

Tetra are only fin-nippers when kept in improper school size and tank size. You could get a large, beautiful school in your tank. Do you know the pH and hardness (GH and KH) of your tap water? This is going to help us find a good school of tetra for you.