Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Stocking? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/stocking-96481/)

hollie 03-19-2012 06:18 AM

Stocking?

Hi!

It's been years since I've posted here! After an international move though I've finally got myself a new fish tank, and I'm looking for a bit of advice. :)

My tank is 200 litres (51 US gallons, I think?), and I've currently got the following in it:

Two plecs (each 17cm+)
Two angelfish
Three adult mollies (one male, two female)
One adult platy
Two zebra danios
One clown loach (I'm going to pick up 3-4 more to make a happy little shoal for him)
About 20 1-1.5cm long platy and molly fry (not all of which will be kept once they've grown up)

I've not yet planted my tank, but I'm going to be adding in lots of tall plants, as well a rocks and so on that both the angels and the clowns can enjoy.

The advice I'm looking for is whether or not I can add any more fish to the tank (bearing in mind the number of clowns will increase to max five)?

If I can, what would be recommended?

Thanks! :D

Byron 03-19-2012 12:21 PM

I see a couple of issues that could develop into something.

First, the clown loach needs a group as you realize, but this fish can attain 8+ inches and needs a 5-6 foot tank minimum. you can read more in the profile (click the shaded name).

Angelfish should preferably be in small groups, 5-6 in this 50g would be fine. Unless you have a breeding pair. Two males for instance will eventually likely fight until one is dead. More in the profile, Pterophyllum scalare.

Zebra danio are active shoaling fish and not really suited to the sedate angelfish. They should have a group, 6+, or they might consider nipping the angels' fins. This is not a guarantee, all fish are different due to this and that, but the shoaling fish do have this tendency.

Byron.

hollie 03-19-2012 01:13 PM

Thanks!

How will I know if I have a breeding pair of angels? They spend a lot of time swimming together and mimicking each other's movements, but I have no idea how to tell, other than that. :p My two danios prefer to be apart from each other, and they've not been bothering the angels that I've seen. Will getting a few more make them friendlier? :)

Byron 03-19-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollie (Post 1018168)
Thanks!

How will I know if I have a breeding pair of angels? They spend a lot of time swimming together and mimicking each other's movements, but I have no idea how to tell, other than that. :p My two danios prefer to be apart from each other, and they've not been bothering the angels that I've seen. Will getting a few more make them friendlier? :)

The best way to sex angels is by the thickness of the breeding tube; females have a thicker tube (to pass the eggs), males thinner. In immature fish this is usually not noticeable. Another way is their behaviour, but this too is more evident in older fish.

Danio are shoaling fish, and such fish should always be in groups. They interact socially, and feel "safer" with more of their own around them. When this need is not met, they can react by becoming aggressive to each other and other fish. There are no hard and fast rules, only guidelines. I would certainly suggest more of them--but I also don not suggest danio in with angelfish. This is explained in the profile of the latter.

hollie 03-20-2012 09:10 AM

I popped to my LFS and rounded out the shoals, as suggested. :)

My tank's now got:
Two plecs (each 17cm+)
Five Angelfish
Three adult mollies (one male, two female)
One adult Platy
Six Zebra Danios
Four Clown Loach (I'm going to pick up 3-4 more to make a happy little shoal for him)
18 1-1.5cm long Platy fry
Four 1-1.5cm long Molly fry

It's all been planted up, too, with some driftwood added. Click to see!

Geomancer 03-20-2012 12:51 PM

Ermm...

Did you read the profiles? A 6 foot (183 cm) tank is a 125 gallon (473 Liter) [or larger]. The Clown Loach will just not work at all, and I wouldn't put them with Angelfish anyways. I'd strongly suggest returning all of them.

What species of Pleco? 17 cm is over 6 inches which would suggest they may not be one of the small varieties of Pleco. The Common Pleco can get up to 50 cm in length.

As already stated, Zebra Danio will cause stress to Angelfish.

One thing not mentioned is you have hard, alkaline fish (molly and platty) mixed with soft, acidic fish (everything else).

Zeetrain 03-27-2012 12:53 PM

First off, the tank looks nice.
Just a few points though, the bioload on that tank is going to be too high. Plecos create a lot of waste and common plecos (not sure which species you have but that's what the one in the pic looks like) will outgrow a 50 gallon tank. Once fully grown, the angelfish will also create a decent amount of waste because, as most people forget, they are cichlids and will eat a lot. Also it seems like that tank is going to be a bit crowded, that's a lot of livebearers in there and they will breed. And the clown loaches also will create a large bioload because they eat like crazy. You're gonna need a lot of filtration and a good water change regiment.