Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Best Fertilizer (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/best-fertilizer-96444/)

Jester10 03-18-2012 08:01 PM

Best Fertilizer

What is the best fertilizer for my plants. I have anubias, several wisteria stalks, and a melon sword( i thought ot was an amazon sword but its leaf structure is that of a melon sword i dont know if that will make a difference.) Im also looking of a brazilian pennywort plant anyone selling or giving away. None of my LFS carry it Im also planing on spliting my anubias soon since they doubled in size since i purchased them nearly 3 or so months ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

SinCrisis 03-18-2012 10:56 PM

unless you know what nutrients you have out of the tap, the best (in my opinion) general all purpose liquid fert is seachem's flourish comprehensive. Then, depending on if you are still lacking nutrients in different categories, the other flourish ferts could supplement such as trace, iron, etc.

beetlebz 03-18-2012 11:04 PM

+1

I use flourish comprehensive, and flourish substrate tabs for my rooted plants, with pretty good effect.

Jester10 03-18-2012 11:40 PM

Well my tap water is parameter are as follows

Ph=7
Ammonia = 0
nitrate and nitrite = 0
idk the exact numbers but my water is very very soft.

My tank is nearly if not fully stocked. I think I may be a little over but I do regular water changes of about 20% or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

beetlebz 03-19-2012 08:13 AM

whats the ph of your tap water? im just curious, if it was very different it would give you some kinda rough direction of your kh.

Jester10 03-19-2012 08:20 AM

Ph is 7. I gave the parameter of my tap water in my previous post.
Posted via Mobile Device

beetlebz 03-19-2012 08:23 AM

oops, I mean the ph of your tank water. The difference in ph from tap to tank will tell us a little about your alkalinity. If the Ph is dramatically lower in your tank, it will indicate a low Kh. If its the same, a high kh.

Jester10 03-19-2012 08:33 AM

I do believe my tap water in my tank water ph is the same at least a week ago it was
Posted via Mobile Device

beetlebz 03-19-2012 08:40 AM

well thats good news. It isnt THAT soft :lol: I have trouble trying to grow swords due to the lack of calcium in my water. So thats good news for you, sir. I still like the flourish comprehensive, if you have any heavy root feeders, give them a seachem flourish root tab. That should do fine. After 6 or 8 weeks, take another look at the plants for potential short comings with their nutrients.

Jester10 03-19-2012 08:50 AM

They all look fine as of right now. Except my anubias has brown algea on it but my oto's are changing that. I was just wondering since I plan on getting another sword and if I can find it, brazilian pennywort, which I still can't find anywhere around here. Is anyone selling or giving away clippings near pittsburgh or is willing to ship? Anyway thanks you all have been very helpful.
Posted via Mobile Device