Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   new tank cycled? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-cycled-96411/)

rhymon78 03-17-2012 06:26 AM

new tank cycled?

Hey, I am a little confused... My tank is now 3 weeks old, and seems to be fully cycled. I wasn't sure this was possible but I have been testing and testing the water with my API freshwater master test kit and the results have been steady.

This is what I did..

First 3 days no fish, no plants, just added substrate and rocks. the place I got the tank from suggested this new product called API quick start which is supposed to contain beneficial bacteria?? I have heard all sorts of mixed reviews on this stuff, but hey I used it.

Mid week I added around 10 live plants, various types. I have a 110L /29g Juwel Rekord tank. left the tank cycling fish less for one week. Took water to be tested at fish shop and was showing levels but they said it would be ok to add 6/7 hardy fish. I got 7 glow light tetras and took my time adding them to the tank, floated them for an hour adding an egg cup of tank water every 5 mins or so. they took to the tank within an hour or so and were very happy!

Around the middle of the 2nd week I noticed the nitrites spiked right up into the the danger zone (I only had a nitrite test then, so couldn't check the ammonia) so I did around a 15% water change, which brought the nitrite level right down from then on. that weekend I purchased the API master test kit and started testing all the parameters. they were all showing very low levels so at the end of the 2nd week I took more water to the fish shop for testing to see if we could add more fish.

Water was fine so I got 7 Danios, 5 leopard and 2 zebras and added them in the same way. They were round the tank as if they had always been there, absolutely insane fish!! so by the end of week 2 I had 14 fish in my tank.

Been keeping a very close eye on all levels this 3rd week as I couldn't believe I could have so many fish so quick, and I really don't want the fish to suffer etc, but to my astonishment I'm reading 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and low levels of nitrate, but there is a reading. I am going to leave the tank a couple weeks now before adding any more fish, but from what the tests are showing it seems as if my tank has cycled??? and to be honest, it probably happened less than 3 weeks, more like 2 1/2 weeks? it sounds ridiculous I know, but if thats what the chemistry shows, it must be right?

The only other thing I used was API stress zyme + a few times, which is supposed to help the bacterial growth etc. I am a little skeptical about these products though, so who knows if they helped or not?? seems coincidental that the tank seems to be cycled after a couple weeks.

!

Simon.

FishFancy 03-18-2012 12:56 AM

The reason you haven't seen the typical cycling pattern is because you started out with so many plants in such a small tank, it's called "silent cycling" you plants are consuming the nitrogen so you have a shortened cycling period. I would still monitor it very carefully for a while, if the tank hasn't cycled and once the ammonia from those fish spike the ammoinia levels nitrite levels will raise over night behind it and can kill all your fish. Just monitor the ammonia, "if" you have a heavy spike do 50% water changes as much as daily and keep testing for nitrites as well. Personally I would do this at least until you reach 8 weeks up you should be safe by then to go to normal weekly monitoring.

Finally, I am not a guru on this stuff like many of the senior members, but I do love science ;), at 29 Gal. your tank is pretty heavily stocked, this too can keep your bio filter unbalanced so just watch what's going on in there.

and have fun, its a blast!

rhymon78 03-18-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishFancy (Post 1016790)
The reason you haven't seen the typical cycling pattern is because you started out with so many plants in such a small tank, it's called "silent cycling" you plants are consuming the nitrogen so you have a shortened cycling period. I would still monitor it very carefully for a while, if the tank hasn't cycled and once the ammonia from those fish spike the ammoinia levels nitrite levels will raise over night behind it and can kill all your fish. Just monitor the ammonia, "if" you have a heavy spike do 50% water changes as much as daily and keep testing for nitrites as well. Personally I would do this at least until you reach 8 weeks up you should be safe by then to go to normal weekly monitoring.

Finally, I am not a guru on this stuff like many of the senior members, but I do love science ;), at 29 Gal. your tank is pretty heavily stocked, this too can keep your bio filter unbalanced so just watch what's going on in there.

and have fun, its a blast!

Hey thanks, I think I have already had the spike as there was a time when the nitrites went way up, right into the higher levels on the test chart, so I did a water change and they went down again. Since then I have had low nitrite reading and for the last week or so I am reading 0ppm every time i test the nitrite. I have only had the master test kit for a week so couldn't check the ammonia at first. (i think I may be reading 0.25ppm ammonia, but its hard to tell if the colour is yellow or greenish yellow) so I have done a couple partial water changes to try and help that) I am also seeing increasing levels of nitrates now so that must mean the tank is in the last part of the cycle no? I'm a noob at this, so forgive me...

I test the water religiously, my wife thinks I'm nuts! so if anything spikes I'll be right on it. done several partial water changes so far.

cheers for the info though.