Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   huge price difference? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/huge-price-difference-9636/)

Little-Fizz 11-29-2007 05:58 AM

huge price difference?

So I was looking to buy a air pump last week. I checked it out online
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...isper40airpump It says like 11 bucks. I realize this is the american site, and there would be some sort of price difference between American and Canadian. But yeah Canadian big als is having American sales but when I went to my big als this pump was like 26 bucks :? Thats more than double the price? I asked the owner about it and he went on his computer and said the price was right, so is there a Canadian big als site or is there something I am missing? Is this is online price? If its the online price I think I would rather order it off the net, even with shipping and handling it might be slightly cheaper then buying it at my store... Doesn't make sense to me because Canadian dollars is worth more then American? Bah I'm so confused :?

verbosity 11-29-2007 06:17 AM

Canadian Taxes.
A lot of the books we buy have Canadian price and US price and the Canadian price is always about twice as much.

Little-Fizz 11-29-2007 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verbosity
Canadian Taxes.
A lot of the books we buy have Canadian price and US price and the Canadian price is always about twice as much.

True, I guess I never expected it to me so much more though. Thank you, I don't suppose to know of a canadian big als site? Also the guy suggested since my tank isn't much taller than a 20 gallon if I got the 20 instead of the 40 I should be fine. I have a euro 28 gallon bow front. What is your opinion on this? I don't want to buy a 20 if it's going to be useless to me. Go big or go home I guess?

mgamer20o0 11-29-2007 12:44 PM

most tanks dont even need a air pump.

everything seems to be double or more vs the two sites.

Little-Fizz 11-29-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgamer20o0
most tanks dont even need a air pump.

everything seems to be double or more vs the two sites.

I don't even have an air pump in my ten gallon right now. But I figured it would be a nice addition to my new tank. Dexter is amazing by the way.

verbosity 12-01-2007 07:33 AM

You don't need an air pump. A 20 gallon airpump is probably rated for a 20 wide, not a 20 tall. The air pump will still work, it just won't work as well or as long.

Little-Fizz 12-01-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

You don't need an air pump. A 20 gallon airpump is probably rated for a 20 wide, not a 20 tall. The air pump will still work, it just won't work as well or as long.

I purchased the one for the 20 gallon last night, it works great, it goes all the way to the top and then some. I turned it down because I didn't want any of the water splashing onto the light. What do you mean it won't work as long?

verbosity 12-01-2007 10:10 AM

Keep in mind it is just my opinion.

The reason air pumps are rated to certain gallons is because the deeper the tank the higher the pressure required to get air all the way to the bottom. If the air pump is meeting great resistance once the parts are a little bit warn it may either get better or worse. If you are using a pump that isn't meant for your depth of fish tank I wouldn't suspect it to last as long as a pump that fits your tank better.

Again this is just my opinion and I have nothing to back this up.

Little-Fizz 12-01-2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Keep in mind it is just my opinion.

The reason air pumps are rated to certain gallons is because the deeper the tank the higher the pressure required to get air all the way to the bottom. If the air pump is meeting great resistance once the parts are a little bit warn it may either get better or worse. If you are using a pump that isn't meant for your depth of fish tank I wouldn't suspect it to last as long as a pump that fits your tank better.

Again this is just my opinion and I have nothing to back this up.

No thats does make perfect sense. Hmmm well I guess it's a good thing I bought a 3 year warranty :wink: It seems to be very powerful, and at the highest setting the bubbles make more noise then the pump. Your right it probably will not last that long. But for $20.51 with the warranty you can't really go wrong. Just a question, does the air pump help with the cycle at all? Even in the slightest? Because I set it up in my cycling tank in the hopes that it would. But if it's not making a difference I might at well hook it up to my ten gallon so my fish can enjoy it now... Or is it just me enjoying it? Lol I don't know but whatever, I like the bubbles.

verbosity 12-01-2007 10:31 AM

Well, I don't really know the answer to it effecting your cycle at all.
And as for your fish enjoying it, fish generally avoid the bubbles.

The bubbles are mostly for appearance for the aquarium owner.
If your tank does have anything that breaks the surface of the water, bubbles would come in handy. If you had problems with oxygen in the water bubbles come in handy. In most situations though bubbles are just for the owner and are not required at all.