Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Phosphates Help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/phosphates-help-96337/)

Fishoutofwater 03-17-2012 02:17 PM

Phosphates Help

Hello there. I was wondering if I'm supposed to use Prime after a tank is fully cycled(I'm on a well) If so a half dose? Also, does anyone know if Prime contains any phosphates at all?

What are some of the best ways to lower phosphate levels in an aquarium or is it better to use filtered water from a Britta filter? Thanks.

Byron 03-18-2012 11:58 AM

I always suggest using a water conditioner that suits what you need, rather than one that does more than you need. Do you know what is in your well water, or added?

Prime does not contain phosphate, as far as I know. Do you have reason to think you have phosphates?

Fishguy2727 03-18-2012 07:07 PM

You shouldn't have to use Prime at all on a well.

The phosphate is probably coming from the well water. Are you having algae problems or did you just happen to test phosphate and see that you have some? Unless it is really excessive you shouldn't have problems with low levels. It will get in the tank via food anyways so it is not the end of the world.

AbbeysDad 03-18-2012 11:18 PM

You don't 'need' Prime unless you suspect issues with ammonia, nitrites, nitrates or heavy metals in your well water. I'm not sure why you suspect phosphates in your well water, but if you live in an agricultural area, nitrates are a strong possibility so you should test your well water.
There are products you can use in your filter to adsorb phosphates. Fluval Clearmax is one that claims to deal with phosphates.

A brita filter probably isn't feasible, although an API Tap Water filter may be more appropriate.
Some might suggest an RO/DI system ($100 - $500), but if your [well] water system is like mine, you wouldn't have consistent 50+psi for the RO membrane function without a booster pump (which increases the cost and complexity of the installation). Also, RO systems produce around 4 gallons of waste water for every gallon of RO or RO/DI water.

1077 03-19-2012 04:15 AM

I personally use Prime because it is good all around water conditioner and takes much less than other's to treat same volume of water= more money saved for fishies.8-)
If you were to take a poll across several forums,,I suspect the majority of folks would be using Prime.

AbbeysDad 03-19-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1017901)
I personally use Prime because it is good all around water conditioner and takes much less than other's to treat same volume of water= more money saved for fishies.8-)
If you were to take a poll across several forums,,I suspect the majority of folks would be using Prime.

1077 - The point is the OP is on a well water system, so there's no chlorine to worry about. It makes good sense not to use a conditioner (or any chemical additives) if you don't need to. Nature doesn't use Prime.

1077 03-19-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 1017944)
1077 - The point is the OP is on a well water system, so there's no chlorine to worry about. It makes good sense not to use a conditioner (or any chemical additives) if you don't need to. Nature doesn't use Prime.

Yes ,source water that was free of chlorine or chloramines, and or possible heavy metals would maybe make conditioner unneeded.
Won't find many fishes in nature living in glass boxes either.:lol: