Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Pleco wont eat :( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/pleco-wont-eat-963/)

koolman56 10-20-2006 11:18 PM

Pleco wont eat :(

whenever i toss in the algea tablets my 3 inch pleco wont eat them :(

Lupin 10-20-2006 11:23 PM

Hi Taylor.:wave:

What species of plec is that? Some are carnivorous therefore, they may not like greens but rather, meat.
Hope the pleco gang will come to help you soon.:)
Just try to identify your plec first and they'll help you as much as they can. If not, a pic can help.:D

rev 10-20-2006 11:55 PM

Yeh, i'll go with Blue. Try to get a pic up for an ID so you can find out about the best possible diet for him. In the mean time try some veges like cucumber or zuccini, washed, sliced down the middle & tied to a rock to secure it. Some plecs diet consists almost solely of veges, some eat wood so make sure you have some driftwood in the tank but most sp. will appreciate fresh veges to some degree. Good luck with him.

SimplySplendid 10-21-2006 12:21 AM

Or perhaps he has enough to eat already and is not hungry.
(Although I don't think this is true -- plecos are huge pigs.)

koolman56 10-21-2006 02:37 AM

hes a common pleco and he never eats :( hes 3-5 inch

cookie62 10-21-2006 04:21 AM

Try putting some cucumber or zucchini. They love the veges!!!

crazie.eddie 10-21-2006 05:03 AM

Is the pleco in the same tank that has recently been cycled?

How long has the pleco been in the tank? If it's new, it's probably still a bit shy in the tank.

What are the water parameters?

sazzy 10-22-2006 05:11 AM

what time of day do you feed him?
a few of mine are really shy, so i feed them when they're most active at night, i also turn the light off.
you can see him with the light from the room to make sure he is eating?

koolman56 10-22-2006 11:16 AM

ok this is what i do when i wake up the light has been off all night so i toss in 3 algae tablets and dim the rooms lights to see if hes eating in his caves/place. He ignores them. Then because usually hes at his other cave when the light is on because it ttly enclosed and dark and the other cave isnt i feed him 3 algae tablets there and he ignores them :(

Nick 10-22-2006 01:25 PM

I've never really had this problem with my common pleco. When I first got him he was small and always active now he's about 3-4 inches a little less active but when I throw in an algea wafer/tab he is the first to it...Just kicks the other fish out of the way. The same way when I slice a piece cucumber up and put it in. It takes him a lil while to realize its there but when he does know its there he eats all the way through them! I would definetly slice a pice of cucumber in there and put something threw it so it sinks. Like weights or something, I just use a spoon ( i have nothing else ) and i put the cucumber threw the spoon and then bury the spoon in the gravel so you cant see it....Give it a try!

Nick