Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Aquarium Photography (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquarium-photography/)
-   -   progress on my first true planted tanks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquarium-photography/progress-my-first-true-planted-tanks-96239/)

yyankeeyankeefan 03-15-2012 11:40 PM

progress on my first true planted tanks
 
5 Attachment(s)
these are my tanks so far. can't wait for them to be finished off! just waiting on the plants to finish my son's and my daughter's tanks and fill in some spots on mine. :) then i will be happy with them. these are my first attempts at planted tanks. so lets hope all goes well

GwenInNM 03-16-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yyankeeyankeefan (Post 1014972)
these are my tanks so far. can't wait for them to be finished off! just waiting on the plants to finish my son's and my daughter's tanks and fill in some spots on mine. :) then i will be happy with them. these are my first attempts at planted tanks. so lets hope all goes well


It looks nice! In the first photo (tank) you may need to watch the anubias. They are a plant that doesn't like lots of light. If you start some floating plants that will help shade them. I've found at my lfs a floating plant called "frog bit" and it's so cool. It's in the profiles here on this site.

Gwen

fish monger 03-16-2012 09:38 AM

You do a nice a job ! Wish I had your eye for planting.

I'll just repeat some info I've seen here and elsewhere, keep and eye on the mondo grass (not an aquatic-will start to decay). The bamboo plant should have its leaves out of the water.

Again, nice job.

GwenInNM 03-16-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish monger (Post 1015204)
You do a nice a job ! Wish I had your eye for planting.

I'll just repeat some info I've seen here and elsewhere, keep and eye on the mondo grass (not an aquatic-will start to decay). The bamboo plant should have its leaves out of the water.

Again, nice job.

I didn't know that about the Mondo grass - bought that myself at Petsmart once (cheap) but it did exactly that, got all funky and I had to throw it. Won't touch that again, so I second what you say. Watch that plant for sure!

Gwen

yyankeeyankeefan 03-16-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish monger (Post 1015204)
You do a nice a job ! Wish I had your eye for planting.

I'll just repeat some info I've seen here and elsewhere, keep and eye on the mondo grass (not an aquatic-will start to decay). The bamboo plant should have its leaves out of the water.

Again, nice job.

i found out the hard way that these two plants were not aquatic. i bought them and then started looking into a fully planted tank. and found out after the fact. but i have had them both in there for a month and they are doing fine. i bought them fully submerged so they haven't been doing to bad. i am going to let them run their course and see how they do. in my son's tank it is just floating so it is getting some air. want to see what one does better.

fish monger 03-17-2012 07:48 AM

I was sucked in by the mondo grass also. Let's face it, it looks really nice in an aquarium. I have had mine for about four months and it's still in good shape. Nothing wrong with taking a wait and see approach.

fish monger 03-17-2012 07:54 AM

I got my mondo grass at Petsmart also. When I asked the young lady if it was an aquatic plant, her eyes kind of glazed over and she said "it could be". That should have been my clue. I guess I just really wanted it to work out.

yyankeeyankeefan 03-17-2012 11:38 AM

i know, they assume it is but don't do the research

Norbert 05-03-2012 02:14 PM

Did I just saw bamboo...:-D

nice tanks and that root broken in half looks awesome. Plants will grow up in time, they look nice so far
apart from that tank with pink substrate unless you want to put in there Alice from Wonderland

yyankeeyankeefan 05-03-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert (Post 1068087)
Did I just saw bamboo...:-D

nice tanks and that root broken in half looks awesome. Plants will grow up in time, they look nice so far
apart from that tank with pink substrate unless you want to put in there Alice from Wonderland

yes there is bamboo in the tanks. i love the way they look :)

the tank with the colorful substrate is my daughter's tank. she is 2 and picked it out herself. personally i think she did a GREAT job at helping me put things where she wanted them. especially for her age.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2