Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Balloon molly very aggressive towards other balloon molly (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/balloon-molly-very-aggressive-towards-other-96175/)

dpooja85 03-15-2012 10:22 AM

Balloon molly very aggressive towards other balloon molly

I bought two female balloon molly fish. One might be pregnant, she is also the larger of the two. Apart from this I have four neon tetra, three anacharis, one anubias, one java fern, one amazon sword plants. The larger balloon molly (lets call her yellow) has started to be very aggressive towards the other molly (lets call her black). Yellow seems fine with the tetras though. Poor little black has to go hide in a corner where she stays most of the day :( Is there something I can do to pacify yellow? I'm not sure what I should do. Help!

Mo 03-15-2012 10:51 AM

Are you sure you don't have a male and a male, or a male and female? This type of aggression seems to be a dominance issue which commonly happens beetween male mollies. I would recommend a group of atleast 4 to spread out aggresion, as you still might have these issues as the more dominant one will keep pestering the sub dominant one.

dpooja85 03-15-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moderator (Post 1014250)
Are you sure you don't have a male and a male, or a male and female? This type of aggression seems to be a dominance issue which commonly happens beetween male mollies. I would recommend a group of atleast 4 to spread out aggresion, as you still might have these issues as the more dominant one will keep pestering the sub dominant one.

Yes, I am sure I have two female. Both their lower fins fan out like they should for females. I'm not sure I should be getting more mollies for my 10 gal tank with the four neon tetras I have already :-(

fishcrazy1824 03-26-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpooja85 (Post 1014420)
Yes, I am sure I have two female. Both their lower fins fan out like they should for females. I'm not sure I should be getting more mollies for my 10 gal tank with the four neon tetras I have already :-(

For over a year I had 4 mollys (1 male 3 female) in a ten gallon with a few neons...while it isn't ideal because you have to check your levels more often and do more frequent water changes it would take the pressure off poor little black. But I'm not saying thats the right decision for you.(thats for you to decide) My immediate recommendation would be to put more decor in...lots of plants to be more specific. It will provide places in your tank where the Mollys can avoid each other. Really that should work...if they don't have to look at each other all the time they will be happier...atleast thats how my girls are :) Your other options are to separate them or get a bigger tank. (which is what I ended up doing anyways)