Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Garbage can safe for mixing SW (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/garbage-can-safe-mixing-sw-96155/)

bigfish93 03-14-2012 11:14 PM

Garbage can safe for mixing SW

I am curious as to how you know if a container is safe for mixing saltwater. I will be buying two garbage cans to store my RO/DI water and my saltwater, but I don't know if the plastic is safe. Here is a link to the trash cans. Roughneck 32-Gallon Trash Can-17780134 at The Home Depot

onefish2fish 03-14-2012 11:42 PM

ive use the brute brand no issue to report;
10 gal. Brute Round Container without Lid, Gray-FG 2610 GRA at The Home Depot

they come in all different sizes just pre-rinses it out well first.

bigfish93 03-14-2012 11:54 PM

ok cool. Any idea how long saltwater can be stored. I am thinking about buying a 20-30 gallon container and storing about 20-30 gallons of saltwater at a time. From what I understand, water changes are not done as frequently as they are in freshwater. I was looking at around 8 gallons every other week. That means my saltwater would be stored for 1-2 months. Is that too long? I will have powerhead mixing the water in the container.

Reefing Madness 03-15-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish93 (Post 1013956)
ok cool. Any idea how long saltwater can be stored. I am thinking about buying a 20-30 gallon container and storing about 20-30 gallons of saltwater at a time. From what I understand, water changes are not done as frequently as they are in freshwater. I was looking at around 8 gallons every other week. That means my saltwater would be stored for 1-2 months. Is that too long? I will have powerhead mixing the water in the container.

Saltwater changes are not done as frequent as FW changes? Umm, that would not be correct. Theory goes like this:
10% weekly or
25% bi weekly and or roughly the same or slightly above for a monthly change
Thats a general rule of thumb, then again all this depends on your water parameters also. I on the other hand do not do changes like that. My water parameters are controlled by Carbon Dosing.

bigfish93 03-19-2012 10:52 PM

For freshwater, a 50% water change every week is pretty standard. That means that I would go through 80 gallons of water a month. It I do the 25% bi weekly water changes, 10 gallons, then thats only 20 gallons of water a month. I thought that was a pretty significant difference.

Tazman 03-19-2012 10:58 PM

I have exactly the same garbage can posted above and use it for my RO/DI water with no issues at all. I have the powerhead I use for mixing my salt mix on a timer to circulate the water twice a day for an hour.

I keep about 20 gallons in it at any one time which is more than enough for my water changes and also as top off water...am lazy in the fact I have the items to setup an auto top off but havent plumbed it yet.