Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Filter question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/filter-question-9614/)

finbabymom 11-27-2007 11:29 PM

Filter question

Hello!

I am a new Betta mom. I have 2 male bettas :shock: together in a 5.5 gallon tank. They have been together for a week now and are getting along fine. I have not seen them flare at each other at all, and they do swim near each other. There are no other fish in the tank as of yet.

Anyway, I was reading through some of the topics here and noticed something about not having a filter that pours water into the tank, which mine does, about 1/4 inch from the waterline. I have noticed one of the bettas seems to be swimming weird, more so around the filter.

I can add a bit more water to the tank so it doesnt pour, and I have the filter on low. There is a cover that isnt flat to the top, so there will still be room for surface air.

Do you think this is ok? Or do I need to get a different filter?

Also, their tank is at about 76degrees...is this too cold?

Lupin 11-28-2007 12:03 AM

Re: Filter question

Quote:

Originally Posted by finbabymom
Hello!

I am a new Betta mom. I have 2 male bettas :shock: together in a 5.5 gallon tank. They have been together for a week now and are getting along fine. I have not seen them flare at each other at all, and they do swim near each other. There are no other fish in the tank as of yet.

Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

You mentioned you have them for only a week. In my opinion, I wouldn't wait before both begin to fight to death in such a small compartment. I would suggest separating them immediately with the second betta placed in another tank.

Quote:

Anyway, I was reading through some of the topics here and noticed something about not having a filter that pours water into the tank, which mine does, about 1/4 inch from the waterline. I have noticed one of the bettas seems to be swimming weird, more so around the filter.

I can add a bit more water to the tank so it doesnt pour, and I have the filter on low. There is a cover that isnt flat to the top, so there will still be room for surface air.

Do you think this is ok? Or do I need to get a different filter?
If you're talking about the biowheel which I think does seem to be used more often, adding more water does seem to help stop the pouring movement. I think this will be okay. The other alternative would be a sponge filter.
Quote:

Also, their tank is at about 76degrees...is this too cold?
I would suggest increasing it to 78-80 degrees.:)

Falina 11-28-2007 03:20 PM

Definitely seperate them ASAP! The younger male bettas may not fight but in time I would bet every penny I have on one eventually killing the other, if not killing each other.

76 is OK but a little higher, like Lupin suggested would be better. :)

finbabymom 11-28-2007 03:42 PM

Thank you
I have another tank, a 10 gallon, that im going to move one of them into. I have a filter and heater for it, but need cartridges for the filter.
He will be ok for a few days without a filter right?
I have the liquid stuff that adds the good bacteria to the water too.

Lupin 11-28-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finbabymom
He will be ok for a few days without a filter right?

Yes if you perform small partial water changes.:)