Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   questions about snails (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/questions-about-snails-96134/)

yyankeeyankeefan 03-14-2012 03:53 PM

questions about snails

i have been looking for saltwater snails that i can acclimate to freshwater and what the best way to do this is. fresh water snails are illigal in my state so acclimating a freshwater snail is the only way i will be able to have them. if you know of any, or have successfully done it before. please guide me in the right direction.

Byron 03-14-2012 07:49 PM

I am not certain, but I suspect this is not possible. You might try posting this question in the appropriate section of the saltwater forum, as one of the experienced marine aquarists might know.

I wouldn't think the small tropical freshwater snails like Malaysian Livebearing could survive the freezing winters in Maine, but... maybe.

Byron.

yyankeeyankeefan 03-14-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1013718)
I am not certain, but I suspect this is not possible. You might try posting this question in the appropriate section of the saltwater forum, as one of the experienced marine aquarists might know.

I wouldn't think the small tropical freshwater snails like Malaysian Livebearing could survive the freezing winters in Maine, but... maybe.

Byron.

no, they can't...not unless they can take being frozen over by about 4 inches of thick ice...but hey.....why allow them here :( sorry...i have been extremely frustrated with the state wildlife and fisheries here. i mean short of taking the snails we already have and putting them into my tank (i really don't want to do that_, i don't think i will be able to have snails i can't acclimate them. i did read somewhere that nitrite snails can be acclimated. but i don't know how much truth there is to this.

Hanky 03-14-2012 11:05 PM

If you mean nerite snails, they are freshwater snails,I have two in my tank. Thats crazy that a state would ban something like that.

yyankeeyankeefan 03-14-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanky (Post 1013967)
If you mean nerite snails, they are freshwater snails,I have two in my tank. Thats crazy that a state would ban something like that.

no freshwater snails or shrimp allowed. yes i do mean nertrie snails. i have that i can't have them but they sell them as salt water snails (those are allowed...go figure) and i was wondering if the ones that are currently in salt water can be moved to freshwater. i know they can't breed in freshwater and that is just gravy in my book. :-P:lol:

Hanky 03-14-2012 11:41 PM

Go figure, Dont get me started on the people making laws in this country, they should all be sent out to sea on a leaky boat. lol Well as long as were talking about the same snails you should be able to acclimate them to freshwater, I actually did not know they were saltwater snails.

yyankeeyankeefan 03-15-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanky (Post 1014003)
Go figure, Dont get me started on the people making laws in this country, they should all be sent out to sea on a leaky boat. lol Well as long as were talking about the same snails you should be able to acclimate them to freshwater, I actually did not know they were saltwater snails.

from my understanding, this snail can be found in all types of water. fresh, salt, and brackish. so i am not sure as to what the process would be to bring it to freshwater if it is currently in salt. i have this posted in both the fresh and salt water sections. hoping that someone has an answer for me as i would LOVE to have snails. i so badly need a clean up crew. it is just so much easier with snails. plus the perk of these is that the eggs would make a great snack for my corys, and they can't hatch. lol. so no over population problems.