Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   I have a problem, Malawi mbuna cichlids pro's needed. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/i-have-problem-malawi-mbuna-cichlids-96048/)

nicolaas 03-13-2012 02:15 PM

I have a problem, Malawi mbuna cichlids pro's needed.

I am really embarassed about this,:oops: but I love the fish and I need help from you.

Ok, so I was on a other site and they said that you can keep mbuna in a 20gal long.

I got a 20long as a gift from a old friend and I did not have fish to put in it,so I got the next mbuna,
2cobalt blue zebra male and female (Metriaclima Callainos) ,1 golden mbuna female and 2 kenyi male and female.There all still young.

I now have them in a 25gal long with the next filters, 1 under gravel filter, 1 jebo 503 waterfall, ViaAqua internal power filter va-f130. (the under gravel filter is deep under the gravel +- 7cm)

And I don't have money to buy a bigger tank.
I also cant take they back, ore give them to some one(the other people I know with tanks are in to gold fish and tetras)

What must I do?

Tazman 03-13-2012 03:00 PM

There is not much you can do with no budget... sorry....
How small are we talking about .... 1-2" ?

nicolaas 03-13-2012 03:12 PM

The kenyi's are about 4cm,the golden is about 6cm the female zebra is about 4.5cm and the male about7-8cm.

Can I maybe get more fish?
I am afraid that the golden will get to aggressive and start to kill the others.

Tazman 03-13-2012 04:03 PM

NO DO NOT get more fish, you are way overstocked already for a small tank.

The only real thing that I can suggest is to place as many rocks in the tank as you can and break up lines of sight for the fish. Without a bigger tank it is nearly impossible to make this work once the fish become larger. The mix of fish is too aggressive to be housed in a small tank.

The zebras alone will get too big for the tank, The golden auratus female COULD be a potential nightmare once she gets into breeding mode.
The Metriaclima Callainos once they get to breeding age the female will likely be killed very quickly.

Am sorry for being so harsh in my reply but a 25g tank is simply too small to make this work after the fish reach breeding age. Once they start showing signs of breeding then WW3 WILL break out in the tank if either the male Zebra, Callianos or Kenyi reach breeding age first.

Am really sorry for not being to offer a "set in stone" answer, last resort is try and find a 50g or larger plastic container and use that as your tank until you can get a bigger tank which will need to be at least 75g anyway.

nicolaas 03-14-2012 10:48 AM

The zebras are Metriaclima Callainos they get 12cm,the tank is 30cm wide.

Would it help if I got more females?