Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   7gal stoking? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/7gal-stoking-96041/)

nicolaas 03-13-2012 01:10 PM

7gal stoking?

What fish can I keep in a 7gal? It is 30cm long, height is also 30cm and 30cm in with.
Can i keep a dwarf gourami?
I was thinking about the dwarf and some apple snails.
The water is soft and the PH 6.3 the water comes for a bore hole.
Maybe some plants?
The gravel is fine and smooth.

Geomancer 03-13-2012 01:56 PM

I'd personally say too small, not exactly for water quality reasons but for swimming room reasons, a tank length of 24 inches is better for them, I'm not sure how big a 7 gallon is as that isn't a standard size.

nicolaas 03-13-2012 02:19 PM

It is home made,so.
It is only the one.

Termato 03-13-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolaas (Post 1012145)
It is home made,so.
It is only the one.

It's about 1 foot in each direction. That is a good sized tank for a betta! :)

I'd suggest Dwarf Puffer.

You could always go invertebrates...or use it as a fry tank?

thekoimaiden 03-13-2012 02:35 PM

I agree with Geomancer. That's a little too small for a dwarf gourami. A betta would be a better choice given that swimming area and water volume. That's about the only thing I would keep in a tank that small. My bettas live in enclousures that are 21 cm wide x 25 cm deep x 27 cm high.

Termato 03-13-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1012162)
I agree with Geomancer. That's a little too small for a dwarf gourami. A betta would be a better choice given that swimming area and water volume. That's about the only thing I would keep in a tank that small. My bettas live in enclousures that are 21 cm wide x 25 cm deep x 27 cm high.

That seems to be able the size of this tank, although this one is a bit bigger being 30cm x 30cm

What do you think about the dwarf puffer Geo and Maiden?

nicolaas 03-13-2012 02:48 PM

I am not a betta fan. But if I fined a nice one maybe,
It was a fry tank but I got a 8gal that is 50cm long,and I put the fry in there.

I like the dwarf puffer allot, me finding one is going to be hard:(
I have allot of rams horns to feed him.

Friday I am going to a big pet shop 100kl from were I live and I am going to look fore one.

Now what about plants?

thekoimaiden 03-13-2012 04:01 PM

A dwarf puffer could work. Seriously Fish gives 30cm as the min size tank, so you could have one. Seriously Fish Puffer Profile

For plants I would go with things like anubias, smaller java fern, and maybe a stem plant or two (but these would need to be trimmed a lot). Something floating would be nice, too. Like duckweed. Water sprite might get a bit large for that size tank.

teddyzaper 03-13-2012 04:36 PM

i would say you can fit a gourami in it. I owned a 7.4g (1ft^2) and i feel like it is big enough for one.dont plant it very heavily and it should work perfectly. i would look into adding shrimp to it.