Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New Fish Compatibility App (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-fish-compatibility-app-95998/)

nlgordaz 03-12-2012 09:34 PM

New Fish Compatibility App

I just finished developing an application that shows compatibility for fresh water fish. This information is already available on a lot of other great aquarium sites (as well as here), but I have never seen it in app form.

I'm looking for feedback. What do you think? - iFishNY - Fresh Water Fish Compatibility

Thanks,
Noah

ladayen 03-12-2012 09:54 PM

I'm seeing alot of misleading information.. I couldn't list it all but I'll give a start. Livebearers shouldn't be high compatability with fish that require acidic water, brackish puffer fish probable aren't the best match for plants due to salt and the shark compatability... well... I dont know if anything would be high compatibility with the broad term sharks. That was another thing, many of the categories are too general. Oh and anabantoids(sp?) such as betta and gourami dont generally do well with other anabantoids.

That being said.. it's a start. Good idea but I dont envy the work required to get that going.

nlgordaz 03-12-2012 10:04 PM

Thank you for the feedback.

The compatibilities are not absolute and are based on experience and research. Perhaps I should change it from High, Medium, and Low to Usually, Sometimes, and Rarely?

It is supposed to give general information. I didn't want to be precise because the data doesn't exist and I've seen two species that conventional visdom says "don't get along", but get along fine - Each fish is different. I've checked other (less cool) apps and guides online and while a bit different, own data is similar. HEre are a few - http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat..._fish.htm#top2 http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/freshw...lity_chart.php

Thank you very much for your feedback. :-)

Tazman 03-12-2012 10:06 PM

Agreed with what Ladayen said, there is a lot of work to do with that but yes it is a start.

The cichlids need to be sorted out for one, the compatibility of some they suggest as medium are totally wrong. The medium compatibility fish would be dinner in a matter of seconds for some cichlids.

nlgordaz 03-12-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1011645)
The cichlids need to be sorted out for one, the compatibility of some they suggest as medium are totally wrong. The medium compatibility fish would be dinner in a matter of seconds for some cichlids.

Excellent point. Thank you very much.

1077 03-12-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlgordaz (Post 1011641)
Thank you for the feedback.

The compatibilities are not absolute and are based on experience and research. Perhaps I should change it from High, Medium, and Low to Usually, Sometimes, and Rarely?

It is supposed to give general information. I didn't want to be precise because the data doesn't exist and I've seen two species that conventional visdom says "don't get along", but get along fine - Each fish is different. I've checked other (less cool) apps and guides online and while a bit different, own data is similar. HEre are a few - Tropical Fish Compatibility. Freshwater Fish Compatibility Chart - Rate My Fish Tank

Thank you very much for your feedback. :-)

While there may be exceptions to whether fishes will be compatible(can't change inherent behaivors),many factors are involved besides aggressive,or territorial nature of species.
Diet's,water parameter's,temperature,swimming space, substrate, lighting,filtration,are only a few.
If conventional wisdom or concensus is that two species will not be compatible, it should be noted and in the interest of long term health of fishes,, all of the above taken into consideration.
Otherwise,it's all only a collection of opinion's of which there are many. (mine included)
Data does exist, and for last forty year's,,I have been searching it out, while noting my own observations.

nlgordaz 03-13-2012 12:01 AM

I agree. Thank you so much for your insight. I would have been better off coding an app with less subjective and contextual data, like an app that determines the minimum size take you need for each fish.

It's a pretty nice app though, right? Aesthetically?

ladayen 03-13-2012 12:13 AM

Heres another chart, still very general though I would consider it slightly more accurate then either of the ones you linked before. Freshwater & Brackish Compatibility Chart

Are you familiar with aqadvisor.com? It provides species by species compatibility and you can check out a desired tank stock and see if it flags any issues. Again just another tool but it is worth checking out.

Aesthictically yes it's simple and clean, looks good. I might suggest a slightly larger font size though.

1077 03-13-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlgordaz (Post 1011777)
I agree. Thank you so much for your insight. I would have been better off coding an app with less subjective and contextual data, like an app that determines the minimum size take you need for each fish.

It's a pretty nice app though, right? Aesthetically?

Yes,,needs a lot of work that most aren't up to but is a good start.
Problem lies with many of these,, in that if you look long enough,,you'll note that many are same info copied perhaps not directly,, but same mis-information.
Talk to breeder's,old timer's,books from the library, or purchase them used online.
These sources are much more accurate although some books may be a bit dated.